Wrecker in the wreck!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Was stumbling thru some slide auctions over on E-bay and found a auction of just a bunch of old slides, most just vacation, birthdays, ect. But then there is this gem! I know nothing about who, what, when ,where, or how. Just copied the photo off E-bay to share here, to show an interesting scene. My ain't railroading fun!

Yes, I know the image is backwards.

Bruce Butler

I tweeked the picture a bit in the hope of making the details more visible. I also reversed it - see original post. Someone with PhotoShop could probably do better.

The Buick looks to be a 1949 or 1950 model. One piece windshields were a big deal back then! The car has a yellow license plate which may be OREGON! All the other details in the picture scream early 1950s.

I am guessing SP, somewhere in Oregon and the highway might be US 99. It could also be the UP and the highway is US 30. Another possibility could be on the Oregon Trunk and along US 97.

Not much in the picture to give any location hints. The wreck did a number on the phone lines without taking poles down.

Well I have about 100 slides of wreck cranes from all different roads. I am trying to find a black wrecker with a silver or white painted swing end.

Looking closer at the photo, it appears the crane tender/flat car is still on the tracks somewhat behind the overturned crane.

The Crane Wreck, Buick and Olds Portholes

The portholes were a big deal too.

:D

April
First off, my guess would be this wreck is on US99E. Sure looks like the right territory.

Second, Olds had portholes that actually came out of the engine compartment. I think Buick's were pure cosmetic. Anyway, when I was growing up we had a nasty neighbor that gave us nothing but grief. He had an Olds with open portals, I don't know a '53 or '54 or something like that. I don't think the portals came directly from the manifolds, but maybe cooled the engine. Whatever. There was a direct route from the outside to the inside, and that's all that counted.

My two brothers and I went over one night to his driveway with fully loaded bladders and emptied them into the portals of his Olds. We watched the next morning as he started his car and warmed it up to go to work, and pee u! He was furious. But couldn't prove a thing. Revenge can be sweet ;-)

I tweeked the picture a bit in the hope of making the details more visible. I also reversed it - see original post. Someone with PhotoShop could probably do better.

The Buick looks to be a 1949 or 1950 model. One piece windshields were a big deal back then! The car has a yellow license plate which may be OREGON! All the other details in the picture scream early 1950s.

I am guessing SP, somewhere in Oregon and the highway might be US 99. It could also be the UP and the highway is US 30. Another possibility could be on the Oregon Trunk and along US 97.

Not much in the picture to give any location hints. The wreck did a number on the phone lines without taking poles down.

The original slide must have been reversed. The reversed photo here is oriented correctly. The car is a 1951 Buick Eight. The script on the grill says "Buick Eight".

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com