Where is the Omaha Posse?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Going to spend more time in the wildlife refuge near the confluence of the Missouri River and the Platte River. Not only wildlife but the trains are close too. These trains are gliding along the welded rail just north of Plattsmouth.

BNSF 9276_040518_1024.jpg

BNSF 7577_040518_1024.jpg

BNSF 7577_2_040518_1024.jpg

BNSF 7577_1_040518_1024.jpg

The four main RR's represented here.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGW101c

CGW Fan
SNOW DAY in APRIL!!

Not a lot of snow but wind blowing and 26 degrees. Council Bluffs to Pacific Jct to Greenwood to Omaha.

BNSF coming thru the snow_040618_1024.jpg

Frisco at PJ_040618_1024.jpg

Sign is yard in Pacific Jct and train at East River

KCS 4704_040618_1024.jpg

IAIS 701_040618_1024.jpg

Two views in Council Bluffs

CGW101c

CGW Fan
East River and then home.

BNSF Island Park_040618_1024.jpg

Ginstein_040618_1024.jpg

Shot across a field toward Island Park where the Bunge Plant is. Then an East River DPU

BNSF8499_040618_1024.jpg

BNSFMP29_040618_1024.jpg

East Bound at East River and Track worker at MP29 on the Omaha sub (Giles Road)

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Blizzard Warnings for a mere 100 miles west of Omaha. Raining a bit here while I sneeze, cough and take regular doses of Tylenol and cough medicine. What other reason do I have for being awake at 6:30 am on a Saturday. It's Spring in Nebraska. I'll post some old stuff just because it is so much fun to upload pictures with the new forum software. CTRL Click, CTRL Click, Open, and your done. I love it. Thanks Bob. 3 Missouri Pacific, Omaha, Louisville and Salina KS. CNW is Maple St. in Omaha. MILW at Council Bluffs.

SS3 (13).jpg

SS3 (17).jpg

SS3 (19).jpg

SS3 (21).jpg

SS3 (26).jpg

Bill Anderson

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. A tremendous number of railroads served Omaha-Council Bluffs back in the day.

I'll take a shot at listing the railroads serving Omaha-Council Bluff over the years. The Posse can correct my mistakes or omissions. Maybe members can post old photos of the various railroads. In no particular order:

Pre-merger era (50's-60's)
Union Pacific
Burlington (CB&Q)
Rock Island (CRI&P)
Milwaukee Road (CMStP&P)
Chicago & North Western
Missouri Pacific
Illinois Central
Norfolk & Western (predecessor road?)

Merger/Post merger era (70's to present)
BN --> BNSF
Union Pacific
Canadian National
Iowa Interstate

There is an interesting article in Wikipedia on railroads in Omaha:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroads_in_Omaha

Last edited:

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Add Chicago Great Western and South Omaha Terminal, which served the Omaha Stockyards.
Wabash is the predecessor road. Highest point on the Wabash is on top of the bluff at Dumfries, IA south of Council Bluffs.
My first ALCo cab ride was on SOT 3. S1 if I remember correctly.
Looks like we got about 2 inches of snow in Omaha last night. The flowers will grow really good if it warms up.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Let's trip down memory lane a little farther. I know there is Wabash picture somewhere. There is my project for the day. I think that's all the pre-merger colors but not pre-merger markings. Except for CGW maroon, CB&Q Black, IC orange, RI blue. What colorful years we had.

SS 12 (31).jpg

SS 12 (44).jpg

SS 15 (34).jpg

SS1 (23).jpg

SS1 (28).jpg

SS2 (7).jpg

SS2a (8).jpg

Bill Anderson

Good catch on the South Omaha Terminal. You could fill an entire album on the Rock Island as I don't think the railroad had two diesels painted alike.

The N&W ran unique high-hooded units which I thought were really neat. I don't care for that basic black + decals paint scheme, though. At least IC diesels had white stripes and a nifty logo.

Last edited:

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
A few days ago I was at Louisville, Neb. and found the UP local waiting to leave Ashgrove. Today I went out and spent some time wandering between Louisville and Ashland.

IMG_7354 (2).JPG

IMG_7357 (2).JPG

IMG_7369 (2).JPG

IMG_7372 (2).JPG

CGW101c called me and said there was a Colorful Westbound BNSF leaving Omaha so I went over to Linoma and waited. Sure nuf here it is.

Last edited:

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
And finally, here is a view of the Ashland wye that I have never photographed. I hope in the future I can video a train coming from the north from this spot.
It was nice of Iron Horse to put a parking spot at the edge
IMG_7362 (2).JPG
of the cliff.

Bill Anderson

Rick: I tried some minor editing to separate your photos for easier viewing, but I screwed it up royally. Blame it on me and the new format. Sorry about that. I cut off the last part of your message, but your original photos should still be on display full size. Good catch on the BNSF train, it really is a colorful consist.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Up near Arlington NE. today looking for remnants of the old CNW that went south out of Arlington towards Omaha. Not much left. Came home and looked for a map and I will go back out later this week to look for more. Saw one train on the main line and saw evidence of impeding double track.

UP Double Track_042418.jpg

UP@Arlington_042418.jpg

UP5139_042418.jpg

papio

From yesterday while in Council Bluffs in a fruitless search to stumble across the UP 1943 (it was reported to be in the area, still don't know where it's at).

04.26.18...02.jpg

04.26.18...03.jpg

04.26.18...04.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)