Where is the Omaha Posse?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Nice work Tom. That NS SD60E was still at Manawa yesterday evening, however it didn't one of those BNSF units with it or the train.

As far as Syracuse, did you get any photos of that new Grain shuttle loading plant under construction, Midwest Farmers Cooperative? If its not done yet, it should be soon so you will see trains on that line in the near future.

Midwest Farmers Cooperative:
http://www.midwestfarmers.coop/index.cfm?show=10&mid=72

Site Plan:
http://www.midwestfarmers.coop/images/E0189302/ShuttleFacility_conceptual1.pdf

I saw the plant under construction. I headed south on Hwy 50 but the only roads that turned east were 6 miles south. Then there was a detour and so I didn't want to go back that far. That explains the trackwork between Ne City and Syracuse. They are probably upgrading for traffic. I did notice that there are UP insignias on the grade crossing electrical boxes east of Syracuse. Trackage rights or did the UP buy It from the BNSF?

I did notice that there are UP insignias on the grade crossing electrical boxes east of Syracuse. Trackage rights or did the UP buy It from the BNSF?

I always heard it was owned by OPPD? They wanted access to two railroads so they could keep rates down. Could be just railfan rumors, but I heard that from several people over the years.

Call for the Omaha Posse on courtesy phone #1. The autumn equinox is Friday. Autumn photos, please.

We had a unseasonably Cool August and first week of September and our fall colors started about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. We only hit 90 once in August and it was on the first! Everything is mostly green still, but you can find good patches of color here an there thought the whole area even out in to central Nebraska!

Here is a little chart I keep track of the temps/rain and my take on the fall colors. I think its going to be a good year, hope I am right.
bwp-fall-colors.jpg

Cool chart. After a record wet winter and spring, the Puget Sound region has had a record dry summer. In other words, we have become Northern California. I don't expect much on the way of pretty autumn colors this year.

It occurred to me after I made my post that with everyone having a cell phone these days, no one under the age of 40 probably knows what a courtesy telephone is.

A bit of fall color in these shots from today near Firth NE. They're not as sharp as I wanted, the result of some nasty winds that gusted as I shot.

Attachments

• 10.21.17...01.jpg
    10.21.17...01.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 10.21.17...02.jpg
    10.21.17...02.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 10.21.17...03.jpg
    10.21.17...03.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 353
Today I went to where Ed was last week and caught this northbound that stopped at the Bunge Plant south of Council Bluffs.

BNSF 5038 Allis Rd_102117.jpg NB at Allis Rd

BNSF 5038 Bunge Plant_102117.jpg Stopped at Bunge

BNSF 5038 Bunge Plant_2_102117.jpg Stopped at Bunge

Fall Color_102117.jpg Fall Color

2 from Thursday near Waverly NE

BNSF 4374 Shakers_101917.jpg Around Waverly

BNSF 5784 Waverly_101917.jpg Near Shakers (very nearly a house of ill repute)

Sumac_102117_text.jpg Gotta love the Sumac when it's red

A ballast train picks up speed as it heads north (TT East) at Benos Crossing in Council Bluffs IA.

Attachments

• 10.23.17...03.jpg
    10.23.17...03.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 328
Went in search of the Spirit of Union Pacific (UP1943) this morning but wasn't able to find it, so I made a quick tip to BNSF's Creston Sub at Oreapolis. Caught loads headed east and empties going west.

Attachments

• 10.26.17...01.jpg
    10.26.17...01.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 10.26.17...04.jpg
    10.26.17...04.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 308

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back