Where is the Omaha Posse?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

papio

I don't think it was any longer than the usual we see in the area, I've been told the mid-train units are needed to get the train up a grade on the CP(?) somewhere north of Ottumwa IA.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Coming out of some of those river valleys in Iowa can be tough. Think of the Kate Shelly bridge on the CNW and how high off the valley floor it is. The other one that is kinda funny is that the top of the bluff on the old Wabash out of Council Bluffs is the highest point on the Wabash. Where not high, topographically speaking, in the midwest, but we are deep.

brad_in_omaha

Coming out of some of those river valleys in Iowa can be tough. Think of the Kate Shelly bridge on the CNW and how high off the valley floor it is. The other one that is kinda funny is that the top of the bluff on the old Wabash out of Council Bluffs is the highest point on the Wabash. Where not high, topographically speaking, in the midwest, but we are deep.

Is that Dumfries? Or Margaritaville as the bike riders call it? I know my legs are usually burning by the time I get there...

papio

One last train shot from 2015 (Dec 30th) at Oreapolis NE.

Attachments

• 12.30.15...02.jpg
    12.30.15...02.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 332

JeffLH

I don't think it was any longer than the usual we see in the area, I've been told the mid-train units are needed to get the train up a grade on the CP(?) somewhere north of Ottumwa IA.

That would be Rutledge hill right out of Ottumwa. Rutledge, which still has a siding, is on the north edge of Ottumwa and where the original main line from Marion/Cedar Rapids met the cut off from Muscatine.

I believe it was a regular helper district in steam days. Even in the diesel era trains would sometimes need a little push from the Ottumwa yard engine. Besides the problem with the grade (I think 2% or a bit more) are some sharp curves at the bottom.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Dumfries it is. There used to a really cool wooden bridge over the tracks, but they built a tunnel for the bike trail. Dumfries is named after the famous Scotland town of the same name, as near as I can figure.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Took a ride up to Missouri Valley IA. Lot's of trains. Light haze or fog. Then I chased a train up the Sioux City line to Mondamin where I met the 8113 and chased it back to Fremont. It was dark by the time we got to California Jct. I was out mainly for sound recordings and dark is good for that.

UP8712_012416.jpeg The 8712 leaving Missouri Valley

UP 5045_012416_Cropped_small.jpeg The 5045 came from Council Bluffs, headed west at Mo Valley and turned north at California Jct. Picture at Cal. Jct

UP5045_whole train_012416.jpeg The whole train in the fog NB on the old CNW

UP5045_Hazy_012416.jpeg Foggy Silouette

CGW101c

CGW Fan
North of Mondamin is the 8113 it held the main while 5045 took the siding. Opposite the 8113 is the sunset in the trees and a night shot of the BNSF at Fremont.

RCRX_Acid Tank_012416.jpeg I thought an interesting tank car for Hydrochloric Acid

UP8113_012416.jpeg The 8113 SB at No.Mondamin.

Sunset in the trees_012416.jpeg The sun

BNSF2746_012416.jpeg The BNSF power parked in Fremont

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Still a bunch of power stored in Mo Valley. 3 tracks full. Tryclops SD 60's and a pretty good assortment of other stuff. I saw about 8 to 10 trains up north Sunday but like you say the light wasn't that good.

Bill Anderson

Autumn is five days away. Time for my annual request for photos of trains rolling past autumn foliage in the territory of the Omaha Posse.

brad_in_omaha

Autumn is five days away. Time for my annual request for photos of trains rolling past autumn foliage in the territory of the Omaha Posse.

Getting close but its still a smidge early before we should start seeing actual fall color (not the stressed trees that are already turning colors). Still well over a month before we are near peak.

Below is my "arm chair" weatherman data going back to 2007. This is all completely my opinion. As of right now, I think Its going to be a decent/average year for fall colors. July was just above average, August is just above average too (76 and 66). I think a cool start to September could make things a little better, but after last year I think a warm wet September could make color not as good.

Average First Color is September 28
Average Peak is October 26
Average End of Fall Color is November 11

Hope you enjoy, I had fun looking in to this!

My unofficial data:
bwp-fall-colors.jpg

Bill Anderson

Cool chart.

We have had two successive warm, dry California summers up here in the Puget Sound region. The leaves are starting to turn, but I don't expect outstanding autumn colors due to the dry weather. Many are shriveling up and turning brown because of the constant sunshine and lack of rain.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
A wide arcing trip from Council Bluffs to Lincoln, Nebraska City and back to Omaha. Starting in Council Bluffs on the south end of the BNSF is a mix of power NS BNSF and KCS. Next it is off to the Omaha Line where it crosses the Platte River. Very nearly ended the trip there as I pulled off the road to snap the picture and there was a BIG HOLE just off the shoulder I managed to straddle it and clear the really deep part. Whew!! Next is hopper train at Waverly at the end of the triple track (2 mains and a siding in between).

BNSF 7135_100116.jpg Council Bluffs, IA

KCS 4606_100116.jpg Council Bluffs, IA

BNSF 6521_100216.jpg Platte River on the Omaha Line, Just north of Ashland, NE

BNSF 6259_100216.jpg Waverly NE. Picture looked vertical in the editor. I'll fix it later

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Here the DPU of the Hopper train. Still in Grinstein. Stopped at the west end of Havelock where is always some GP's. Today there were 6. Notable is the 166 without any BNSF marks. I saw a loaded coal train heading down the St Joe Line and gave chase. But there was too many traffic lights on the 4 lane hwy 77. I arrived at Hickman about the same time. So I followed the Nebraska City Line. There was a lot of stored hoppers along the line. Unadilla is the town I stopped at first. Notice the gravel road dust on the tops of the rails

BNSF 9751_100216.jpg DPU

ATSF 166_100216.jpgHavelock

BNSF 2313_100216.jpgHavelock

Unadilla_100216.jpg Unadilla

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Pretty countryside and a meandering track would make a great tourist ride. Some track work here and there so maybe there will be some traffic some day.

Syracuse_100216.jpg Syracuse

Dunbar NE_100216.jpg Dunbar (Population 261)

BNSF NE City East View_100216.jpg View of the line close to Nebraska City looking east

BNSF NE City West View_100216.jpg Same looking west. That is dust from cars on the gravel road. Gotta wash the car tomorrow

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)