What's like to be a Locomotive Mechanic?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kyleodonnell97

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kyle and I'm hoping for a career with the railroad industry. I've just graduated from high school in Northern Missouri and will be heading off to a two year college in Southern Iowa to major in Diesel Power Technology. Does anyone work for the railroad industry as a locomotive mechanic? I'm hoping to work for a Class 1 railroad as a diesel mechanic or a mechanical shop laborer. I plan on working for Union Pacific or BNSF in Kansas City. I understand that the railroad industry is have a rough time and is rarely hiring right now due to the money spent on oil and coal. If I changed my mind, I'll try to be a Conductor for a Class 2 or 3 railroad. I'm just wondering that if I'm hired as a mechanic, would I start with the swing shift? Or will I start with the graveyard shift? I just want to learn some more facts on what's like to work for the railroad as a locomotive mechanic everyday.

Much can change in two years while you are in college. While in school, I recommend you routinely meet with your faculty advisor and periodically check with the school's placement office to get a feel for the job market. You should also check with your department to see if any railroads offer summer internships in your field of study.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back