Whatcha Think? Exposure Difficulty

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

DirtAmerica

They see me foamin'
I downloaded the second image and looked at the histogram in GIMP (a free photoshop alternative). It's actually properly exposed. Yes, it seems a bit dark, but all the information is there. It's just a matter of lightening it a bit after being shot. I'm a Nikon man, so I don't know for sure, but usually that's something that can be done at least to some degree in the camera itself. There is also some way to view the histogram in the camera, but you'll have to check the manual (or just play around with the camera a bit) to figure that out.

Here is a screenshot of the histogram from the second image:

The circle on the left represents the darkest dark spot in the image. The circle on the right is the lightest light spot, which in this case would be the headlights. There is a bit of room to lighten it using software. To get a perfect exposure for this, I probably would have used f/8.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Rod Williams

Retired throttle jockey
I downloaded the second image and looked at the histogram in GIMP (a free photoshop alternative). It's actually properly exposed. Yes, it seems a bit dark, but all the information is there. It's just a matter of lightening it a bit after being shot. I'm a Nikon man, so I don't know for sure, but usually that's something that can be done at least to some degree in the camera itself. There is also some way to view the histogram in the camera, but you'll have to check the manual (or just play around with the camera a bit) to figure that out.

Here is a screenshot of the histogram from the second image:

The circle on the left represents the darkest dark spot in the image. The circle on the right is the lightest light spot, which in this case would be the headlights. There is a bit of room to lighten it using software. To get a perfect exposure for this, I probably would have used f/8.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.
I copied the image and looked at the histogram in Photoshop and it is all stacked up on the left side and looks absolutely nothing like the one posted here. Maybe that's why GIMP is free.

DirtAmerica

They see me foamin'
I copied the image and looked at the histogram in Photoshop and it is all stacked up on the left side and looks absolutely nothing like the one posted here. Maybe that's why GIMP is free.
Hmm...I'm back on my home computer now and I kind of see what you mean. The image information is still there, though. It's just a matter of lightening it. I think the difference in histograms may be the difference between a luminosity histogram (such as the screenshot I posted) and a color histogram. I don't know the details on how they work differently, but it seems plausible...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.