What happened to the 'Long-Runners'?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

What happened to these cars?

A few years ago almost every TOFC/COFC train would have several of these in the consist and now they have seemingly vanished.

tofc.jpg

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Interesting question. I don't see that many TOFC trains to start with, seems like most stuff is containers these days. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the traffic for both modes. I realize my view is probably not typical since Seattle and Tacoma are both huge container ports, so that's going to shift the balance.

I am working on the BNSF's Southern Transcon route for a contractor and I see over a dozen TOFC trains a day and there aren't any even though there are several 53' trailers being carried.

The ones without the widened section probably got converted to standard 89'ers, whether those others were converted instead of scrapped would depend on demand for them I would guess.

The ones without the widened section probably got converted to standard 89'ers, whether those others were converted instead of scrapped would depend on demand for them I would guess.
What widened section? The existing ones were already wide enough to carry 53' trailers; how much wider could they be and still stay within C plate?

The Long-Runner flats were a 2 car setup. They carried 3, 53' trailers with the middle one bridging over the coupling between the 2 cars. Note the widened section on the right hand car where the trailer's wheels are sitting on it's deck to allow for them to swivel. They were connected by a drawbar.
1524384357365.png

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com