What do you shoot with? 2018 Edition!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

It has been five years since Brad asked about our photography equipment. I assume some of us have made changes since then.

[All cameras and lenses are Canon unless otherwise noted]

My current arsenal
5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter (tripod moounted) for nature photography.
1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom (handheld) for nature photography and trains.
7DII + 4.0/16-35L wide angle zoom (hand held) for trains, landscapes, sunsets, etc.

In reserve
7D and Rebel XSi
24-105L wide angle zoom, 4.0/70-200 medium zoom, and 100-400L telephoto zoom
2x II teleconverter

Recent additions
I purchased a used 1Dx for $1700. I shoot trains and birds in poor light quite often up here in the Puget Sound region and the 1Dx handles high ISO settings much better than my 7DII and 5DIII. I could not afford a new 1Dx at the original M$RP, but I could not pass up this used one, a former Seattle Times camera which had been traded into Kenmore Camera.

I was increasingly unhappy with the photos from my 2.8/17-35L wide angle zoom, an older lens I had purchased used at Kenmore Camera several years ago. Niles at Kenmore put my name on a wish list for a newer wide angle lens should one be traded into Kenmore. A few days later I got a call from Niles about a used 4.0/16-35L. He set it aside for me and I traded in the old 17-35L for it. I am very happy with the lens, which I use in conjunction with the 7DII.

Lots of photographers are dumping their heavy, bulky dSLR sytems for the new lighter, compact mirrorless systems. I would like to hear from you who have done so.

Last edited:
Tried using a lightweight kit for action photos and was disappointed. The A6000 Sony & lenses didn't seem to be able to keep up with track-speed subjects. I may experiment with different modes but wasn't getting what I wanted on aperture priority. Going back to the Nikon D300 isn't that big a hardship; the lenses are excellent and the body has a longer battery life anyway. Both systems are APS-C, so the format is not an issue. Having been doing some structure photos with an early '50s Franka Rolfix folder (6x7 on 120 film) and getting good results as long as the light is decent. Any suggestions?

I haven't changed to much, but here is the current lineup.
Canon 5D3 (I have a 5D1 as backup, and I have rented a 5D4 a few times recently)
Canon 400 F2.8L
Canon 70-200 F2.8L
Canon 24-70 F2.8L
Canon 16-35 F2.8L
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 2x teleconverter
Canon 1.4x teleconverter

I recently borrowed a Sigma 150-600 and it was awesome!

east_bay_alex

Engineering Student
Locked in with this "beginner" DSLR bag...
Nikon D3300
Nikon D3400
AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II
ME-1 Stereo Microphone

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com