What do you shoot with? 2013 Edition!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

What Do You Shoot With?

• Total voters

kenw

5th Generation Texian
new body....

Well, an unplanned upgrade has me finally getting to a full-frame camera body: the Canon 6d to replace the now broken 50d. The 50d’s metering had gone blitzo, so any shooting required full manual without any metering at all: no Tv, no Av, no Automatic or Program or Creative modes. Even in Manual not having a meter means that chimping was now required……thankfully there are histogram displays to get you pretty good results. 99.9% of my train shots used Tv, fwiw.

An upcoming once-in-a-lifetime trip forced me to question the validity (to say nothing of the time delay) of repairing the 50d again. The upgrade is significant for more reasons than just full frame, the low light performance of the 6d is truly spectacular. Being able to use my smartphone as a remote is kinda cool….especially since my wireless remote for the 50d just became obsolete! (along with a battery grip less than a month old….) While the 50d would have been more than suitable for many more years the changes in technology makes them light-years apart. My biggest problem is learning all of the tricks, tips and idiosyncrasies of a new camera in just a few days; apparently Magic Lantern Guides for the 6d don’t exist. Altho not an issue for most train shots, having my wide-angle capabilities back is another thing to get used to.

Train shooting still finds me using either the 24-105/f4L IS or the 70-200/f2.8L zooms due to the flexibility. A trio of primes (20/1.8, 50/1.4 and a 100/2.8 macro) complete the setup with more specialized glass for non-train situations. The ancient but still quite useable 10d provides backup.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.