What Boots Do You Wear?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I'm a BNSF conductor, but I most often work as a yard foreman/helper (which means I spend almost all my time on ballast). Since they were buying, I got Red Wing King Toe boots and I'm pretty happy with them. I tried a couple different insoles, including Red Wing's insoles, but I am most happy with the Dr. Schol's black and blue insoles. They aren't waterproof, but that's no big deal. I put each foot in a gallon ziploc bag then put the boots on when I know I'm going to be working in water. Then I don't have a care in the world if my boots get wet because my feet stay dry. Also, I take full advantage of the fact that the Red Wing store will give me all the laces I need and apply mink oil once a month, which will help waterproof the boots. My only complaint is the soles don't hold up well to sidewall heaters - I nearly melted them all the way down one cold, wet night!

I have worked for CN for 27 years and work in Montreal, Canada. My boots are STC's which are a durable and very comfortable boot. Warm and dry in winter and not overly warm in summer. The Gore-tex is great. Only drawback is the leather boots are a little heavier than the redwings and danners, and they are not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been retired for 10 years now, (Locomotive Engineer), my preferences over my working time was Redwings.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back