WE 3102 and 301 Visit Galesburg, IL 02/13/2010

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

papio

Nice catch Grizz. Just a note, their reporting mark is actually "WLE" and according to some references I found, NS acquired WLE in 1988. Maybe they've decided to let them roam in the power pool.

Nice catch Grizz. Just a note, their reporting mark is actually "WLE" and according to some references I found, NS acquired WLE in 1988. Maybe they've decided to let them roam in the power pool.
Thanks ed. I thought they were WLE too, but I was told WE and that what it is on rrpicturearchives. I think they also said WE 3102 on the scanner, but I wasnt paying attention. I'm not saying your wrong, just Im hearing 2 different things and not sure what to go with lol

papio

Here's the source I use: http://www.pwrr.org/rrm/

And, here's one I just found that says "WE", so I stand corrected :):

http://www.railserve.com/aar_railroad_reporting_marks.html

Edit: After a bit of searching, apparently the WLE mark is owned by NS and the WE is for the "reborn"railroad. Here's a piece I found at the railroad's web site:
(quote)
The WLE was dissolved as an entity in 1989. A spin off renewed the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway in 1990 with a group of investors who intended to put the WLE back on the map with a purchase from Norfolk Southern of 575.8 miles of track made up of a combination of the former WLE, the Pittsburgh & West Virginia (PWV) and the Akron Canton Youngstown (ACY) lines. These 575.8 miles of track, in conjunction with further trackage rights from NS, encompassed 840 miles, thus beginning the development of the “new” WLE. (quote)

So, I'd venture it's not pool power. Did they head back east or go further west?

Last edited by a moderator:

MP36er

Spelling DOES count.
Correct, their reporting mark is WE and it is lettered as such just above the road number on the side of the cab on the 301.

Supposedly WLE owes NS a ton of horsepower hours so these units are roaming the NS system and therefore NS trackage rights trains over the BNSF.

The WE 3102 and 301 went back east on the H GALCWY (Galesburg- NS Conway) which entered the NS trackage at Streator, IL.

Half an hour ago I saw yet another WLE unit, high hood GP35 2703, trailing on a westbound NS manifest (probably H-NSINTW) down the BNSF towards Minneapolis.

Here's the source I use: http://www.pwrr.org/rrm/

And, here's one I just found that says "WE", so I stand corrected :):

http://www.railserve.com/aar_railroad_reporting_marks.html

Edit: After a bit of searching, apparently the WLE mark is owned by NS and the WE is for the "reborn"railroad. Here's a piece I found at the railroad's web site:
(quote)
The WLE was dissolved as an entity in 1989. A spin off renewed the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway in 1990 with a group of investors who intended to put the WLE back on the map with a purchase from Norfolk Southern of 575.8 miles of track made up of a combination of the former WLE, the Pittsburgh & West Virginia (PWV) and the Akron Canton Youngstown (ACY) lines. These 575.8 miles of track, in conjunction with further trackage rights from NS, encompassed 840 miles, thus beginning the development of the “new” WLE. (quote)

So, I'd venture it's not pool power. Did they head back east or go further west?
Ok cool. The 3102 and the 301 got taken off at Galesburg and were replaced with the BNSF 9292 and 8819. The empty they came in mustve been one that doesnt run everyday, hince the weird power.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.