Watco Locomotives

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Rail84

I am new here so It may be already covered. The question I have is, Watco has a locomotive that I can't figure out, WAMX 1004 they say it is a GP10 but it looks like a GP7 and I have compared that locomotive to the GP7s they have and they all look the same can some shed some light on this.

Maybe an Illinois Central rebuild engine from a while back? They did a bunch of GP7 to GP10 rebuilds.

RR Picture Archive says it's a GP10/GP7u ex MWLX 2017 ex ATSF 2017 (built 08/01/1961)

Some rebuilders give the locomotive a new designation to indicate that it is different than the original.

http://thecrhs.org/?q=ConrailEquipment/Locomotives/EMD/gp8gp10

Bruce

What makes a GP10 what they are is the horst air filter on the roof behind the cab. Not sure that Conrail's came with this though.

Here's a pic of WAMX 802. It is an SW8 built new originally for the Louisiana & North West RR circa 1950.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3025194

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back