Veteran's Day 2016

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
A heartfelt thank you to all who have served our great country. I was down in Great Bend KS for the installation of a new memorial stone at the Golden Belt Veterans Memorial in Great Bend. 389 more names of Barton County Vets are now installed. All of my brothers-in-law are on the stone. Congrats. I saw the local K&O with about 100 Ferromex hoppers all over the Great Bend yard. There is tons of Milo in piles at many of the small town elevators. Also looks like new welded rail on the ex MOP west of Hoisington. Must be a bunch of grain traffic in the K&O future. And it looks like they spiffed up the steamer in the park at Great Bend for the Vets.

WAMX 4024_111216.jpg Great Bend Yard

Coaling Tower GBKS_111216.jpg The ATSF Coaling Tower is still there, amazing

ATSF 3416 GBKS_111216.jpg I think for a couple of million we could run this. Still has the external appliances on it.

WAMX 1004_111116.jpg East of Great Bend at another elevator. GP7u ex-ATSF 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Drove thru the center of the state roughly following the old MOP Pueblo line. Most of it is overgrown. No bike trails though. Topeka is locked up tight. This is as close as I could get to the stored power. Other than that, it was a nice 380 mile drive on a 55 degree November day.

Topeka Yard_111216.jpg Topeka. Lots of stored power behind the fence

WAMX 4218_111216.jpg McPherson KS K&O power working.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back