Vancouver area photos

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
CN 5541 on the Ewen Branch in Richmond passing the LaFarge Cement plant enroute to the Fraser River Terminal yard:

CN 7055 passing over the entrance to Highway 99's Deas Island Tunnel with a train of auto racks and a single tank car:

CN 7232 crossing Horseshoe Slough in Richmond:

SRY 106 backing down Old Yale Road in Surrey with a string of boxcars for Catalyst Paper:

Caboose being used for the long reverse move to Fraser-Surrey Docks:

SRY 910 pulling a loaded centerbeam from the Weyerhaeuser plant on Annacis Island:

other photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7307607@N06/sets/72157624943721256/

Always interesting to see different perspectives of our local rail scene. I like the fact that you've taken the time to ferret out some unique locations. Got any more?

Chris - Nice shots of a very interesting area. I try to visit these spots when I'm up your way - always something interesting. Flickr tells me this is a bad link.

Chris - wow, looked at the shots on Flickr - very cool. I've poked around the docks and Anasis Island area but never figured out how to get into the spots that you did. Particularly Lulu Island. I've seen those CN geeps pulling auto racks back to New West but had a really hard time following them. Thanks for posting!:D

Thanks again Jon! I only get to Vancouver a few times a year, and to actually railfan, less than that. I asked one of the locals before I came over what times were the best to catch the Lulu Island job as I've never been able to before. I've been to Annacis Island numerous times over the years so I have a pretty good idea of the track layout, but even then a friend pointed out a spot I hadn't been to before and it turned out to be a great area at the south end of the yard. Google Earth has been a huge help with railfanning for me also, as I can plan photo locations before the actual trip :)

Hi all. First time poster here, all the way from Western Australia.

I'll be visiting Vancouver for a week in April next year - very excited by some of the shots seen here. Are spots on Annacis accessible by public transport / bicycle ?? I'd love to get lots of industrial / spur shots whilst in Vancouver as its not something we have over here.

Hi all. First time poster here, all the way from Western Australia.

I'll be visiting Vancouver for a week in April next year - very excited by some of the shots seen here. Are spots on Annacis accessible by public transport / bicycle ?? I'd love to get lots of industrial / spur shots whilst in Vancouver as its not something we have over here.

Here's a few photos from my last couple of trips to Vancouver once in April and again from a couple of weeks ago.

First one is a CP to SRY transfer caught in New Westminster. Took this shot through my windshield while driving:

Rocky Mountaineer equipment positioning move prior to the start of the season:

SRY climbing the 3% grade into Surrey:

BNSF awaiting crew for the trip south:

CN 5556 passing by SRY's Trapp Yard and the Fraser River on it's way to the Ewen Branch on Lulu Island:

Interesting flat car load in SRY's Trapp Yard:

SRY 911 switching the 2 tracks inside the transload lot in Sardis:

The April trip photos can be found here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/7307607@N06/sets/72157626396339595/

and August photos here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/7307607@N06/sets/72157627381809076/

Thanks for looking!

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
That SRY 106 is a former MRL/BN/NP GP9. I really do need to make a trip up to the Vancouver area to find those old GP9's before they get retired. Any idea of how many GP9's SRY has in service right now and where they can be found?

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

Any idea of how many GP9's SRY has in service right now and where they can be found?
Brian, I'm not sure how many GP9's they currently roster, i'd guess 6 or 7. There's a couple sitting in the dead line while 121 was recently converted to a slug, but still retains it's cab. They can all be found at SRY's Trapp Yard in New Westminster except for 110 and 119 which are assigned to Vancouver Island.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.