UPY2005 - Railroad Days

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Well its the hottest day of the year so for so that means..... Its Omaha Railroad Days! Here are a few photos from today.

Most of the photos are from the UPY 2005, the first "Green" locomotive

12. IAIS over in Council Bluffs

13. Cabooses over in Council Bluffs

14. Big Boy at Kenefick Park

15. 6900, Black Flags for Kenefick who passed away yesterday at 90

papio

Earlier this week (Monday), I wondered if one of these two would be displayed for Railroad Days. Then again, I thought not as they're positioned southbound on the BNSF's line at the Bartlett elevator near the I-80 Lake Manawa exit in Council Bluffs IA. Wonder if they were bound for the Relco facilty for warrenty work?

Ed, There have been 2 similar to that parked at the fueling rack in CB for a while. I saw then when I was up in the helicopter. I assumed they were going to be the two on display at Railroad Days.

Awesome shots! First thought that went through my head when I saw the UPY2005 was "Holy crap...that almost looks like a C415." I guess I wasn't alone in my thought process. haha

Awesome shots! First thought that went through my head when I saw the UPY2005 was "Holy crap...that almost looks like a C415." I guess I wasn't alone in my thought process. haha
Thanks! I don't knwo a lot about those gensets, but I think they are all old locomotives that they salvaged. I hope they use some other interesting locomotives in the future!

R

RailfanRails

Thanks! I don't knwo a lot about those gensets, but I think they are all old locomotives that they salvaged. I hope they use some other interesting locomotives in the future!
UPY 2005 was built on a ex SP MP15AC frame. Used two Cummins diesels. The two in Ed's shot are built on ex SP B23-7 frames by Rail Power (makers of the green goat). They have 3 Duetz diesels under the hood. I like to call them buses as the sound like Detroit Diesel 60's.

UP has gensets from both Rail Power and NRE. They are all 3 engine with NRE using Cummins and Rail Power using Duetz. They are all B-B trucked except for 4 Rail Power C-C gensets (ex SD40-2's) used on the hump in Roseville, CA. 4 more are on order and are currently being built at Altoona, PA by the NS.

UPY 2005 is the only center cab genset. Like the ones at Bunge in S. Council Bluffs the rest are end cab.

R

RailfanRails

Are Gensets only used in certain locations?
The UP and BNSF run them in TX and CA. They are mostly paid for with tax payers dollars as a clean air type of thing. Bunge, Cargil and ADM also have single engine and double engine gensets thru out the country. Other industrials and shortlines also have gensets.

Always love your shots Brad! What camera do you use the picture quality is amazing!
Thanks!

I use a Canon 5D mk1 (the old one) and a 24-105L and a 70-200 2.8L

Another railfan sent me a PM yesterday asking the same question.

I told that railfan that there is way more to the photos than the camera/lens combination. I use to use the Rebel XT and could get similar results with that camera.

When I went to school for Photography, there was no digital photography or Photoshop. I learned on film, Black and White, 35mm, medium format, large format, etc.

Photo instructor after photo instructor would send students back in the darkroom and say "Burn this" or "Dodge that" or "Why don't you try cropping that photo a little tighter". After printing the same photo over and over some of that got engrained in my head.

There are a lot of people that don't like Photoshop or say its cheating. Well its not, I apply a lot of those same techniques that I used in the dark room to my current digital photos, its just a different process. I like to see detail in my shadows and detail in my highlights so I essentially burn and dodge my photos to get all the detail I can in them. Its taken a lot of practice over the years teaching myself, but now I am getting the results that I want.

I also use a Circular Polarizer in my lens a lot. That one filter makes a huge difference in photos. The Polarizer is something that I have never been able to replicate in Photoshop. It really adds the pop to my photos that I am looking for.

The final thing I do is after I am all done with my photos and resize them, I will use the "Sharpen Edges" tool in photoshop. When you print a photo with film on to paper, its almost always sharp, however when you yeduce the size of a digital file, they seem to get soft so after I size them, I sharpen filter. Its is improtant to only do that to photos you post online, if you do it to files you are going to print you can loose image quality.

Brad

Like the cabooses in Council Bluffs picture, very creative. Cool catch with the Heartland Express truck since they're from Iowa too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com