UP SD9043MAC question

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I've noticed lately that the UP SD90/43MAC's have been used on grain trains a lot more lately but are still used on manifests and autorack trains like they were when the SD60s and 60M's went into storage. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not UP is going to start using them on grains trains and coal trains regularly again.:confused:

Just this past saturday i saw 4 SD9043MACs in a row on a empty unit rock train, UP 8168, 8143, 8181, and 8221 in Marshall Texas coming out of Shreveport headed north on the Little Rock sub.

I've noticed lately that the UP SD90/43MAC's have been used on grain trains a lot more lately but are still used on manifests and autorack trains like they were when the SD60s and 60M's went into storage. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not UP is going to start using them on grains trains and coal trains regularly again.:confused:
the SD9043MAC's have been shifted out of the coal pool. Thats not to say that you won't see one stray into coal service, thats just not the primary assignment for them now. They will show up in pretty much any other type of service be it general merchandise, intermodal or other unit trains.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

the SD9043MAC's have been shifted out of the coal pool. Thats not to say that you won't see one stray into coal service, thats just not the primary assignment for them now. They will show up in pretty much any other type of service be it general merchandise, intermodal or other unit trains.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
I knew they'd been taken out of the coal and grain pool a couple years ago but it's been starting to seem like they're making a come back in that service.

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
I knew they'd been taken out of the coal and grain pool a couple years ago but it's been starting to seem like they're making a come back in that service.
Nice to see them again on coal,and grain trains. On the 24th I caught 8133,and 8009 on 2 different grain trains

cotton_belt

Johnny Lunchmeat
The SD90/43MAC's were moved to standard manifest service mostly, for leader and dpu service. They are extremely slow loaders and are a mechanical nightmare, thats speaking from experience. due to loading and other issues, they were moved to general manifest service.

The SD90/43MAC's were moved to standard manifest service mostly, for leader and dpu service. They are extremely slow loaders and are a mechanical nightmare, thats speaking from experience. due to loading and other issues, they were moved to general manifest service.
Thanks...I guess what I've been hearing about then is just a few have been in coal and grain service miraculously in a group...quite strange to have 2 or 3 at once.

Train Guy

UP Washy and S.I. Cond.
Come here to the PNW and you can see all the SD90 POS's you can stand. We have a private pool of UP SD90/43AC's starting at like 8260 all the way up to 8307. These have been equipped by UP as canadian leaders with the CPR at Eastport, ID (Kingsgate, BC). Do to added trains in the erea right now other units from the 8100's and 8000's have also shown up as consist units. The units run all the way to Portland or Seattle/Tacoma and back to Canada. We're sick of them here, take'm back!

I thought Uncle Pete was scrapping and selling all of the 9043 MACs? I guess that's what I get for thinking! :p
No. The only SD9043MAC's disposed of by UP are a couple units lost in wrecks.

21 SD90MAC-H units (phase I, look similar to SD9043MAC's) owned outright by UP were the units that were scrapped. Actually make that 20, one unit is still lingering around the Jenks Shop as of late 2010.

41 additional SD90MAC-H's (one Phase I unit, 40 Phase II units) which were returned to EMD when the lease expired on the units.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
Come here to the PNW and you can see all the SD90 POS's you can stand. We have a private pool of UP SD90/43AC's starting at like 8260 all the way up to 8307. These have been equipped by UP as canadian leaders with the CPR at Eastport, ID (Kingsgate, BC). Do to added trains in the erea right now other units from the 8100's and 8000's have also shown up as consist units. The units run all the way to Portland or Seattle/Tacoma and back to Canada. We're sick of them here, take'm back!
We'll gladly take 'em!!

I can attest to what John said. They are definatly slow loaders and mechanically suck. their electricial system is always failing and other than the 710 engine itself they are mechanically crap. For a long while they were being serviced out west by Stockton. When UP decided that they would cut back Stockton, Roseville recieved them. At the time we got them they were still being used for coal and grain but like someone mentioned they are currently used for most forms of freight.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.