Un-numbered SD38-2

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

EMDGP30

Saw this unit parked at a grain facility in Garden City, KS yesterday (grab shot from vehicle)
4B51491E-9D15-4A25-8212-AE02F47A5BA1.png

I believe it is the plant switcher; the plant is on BNSF's LaJunta sub and there are a couple geeps (GP40-2 still in ATSF paint and lettering; BNSF undercab & a GP30 in the new BNSF 'swoosh' scheme) tied down a couple miles from this unit.

Last edited:
That's interesting about the ATSF Geep as well. I have a few of the old HO model Geeps that I can repaint or patch for yard work.

That's interesting about the ATSF Geep as well. I have a few of the old HO model Geeps that I can repaint or patch for yard work.

I am going to try and get some pics of them if I can.

Today I saw what looked like a rebuilt GP7 doing some switching; it wasn't a BNSF unit. Hopefully this week I will get a decent pic of it as well.

There's life in the old dogs yet. I model predominantly Montana Rail Link, with BNSF as a supporter, but as I run at a Queensland, Australia club, which has an eclectic group of Aussie prototype followers and very international as well, basicaly anything goes, even among the individuals.

For myself, there is also in the Washington group of companies, MRL's owner, another rail operation in Canada, the Southern Railway of British Columbia (SRY reporting mark) that uses the same paint scheme and logos as MRL which has as a large bonus, older EMD power. They mingle with CP equipment at at least one yard I know of.

No road name and no number, looks like a plant switcher to me. Not only that, but I think I can spot of row of light along the cab roof. If they're what I think they are, then the unit is rigged for remote control.

No road name and no number, looks like a plant switcher to me. Not only that, but I think I can spot of row of light along the cab roof. If they're what I think they are, then the unit is rigged for remote control.
What do the lights do, some sort of visual acknowledgement?

What do the lights do, some sort of visual acknowledgement?

Yes, exactly. They typically have 4 or 5 colored lights, red, green, yellow, blue and white. They would indicate things like reverser position, braking, wheel slip etc. These systems have been around a long time and are more primitive than the modern belt pack ones that have a fancy display. Basically, the lights tell you that the locomotive has responded to the radio commands you sent. I don't know the exact specifics, also I'm not sure if they vary from one operation to the next.

Yes, exactly. They typically have 4 or 5 colored lights, red, green, yellow, blue and white. They would indicate things like reverser position, braking, wheel slip etc. These systems have been around a long time and are more primitive than the modern belt pack ones that have a fancy display. Basically, the lights tell you that the locomotive has responded to the radio commands you sent. I don't know the exact specifics, also I'm not sure if they vary from one operation to the next.
Who copied who then I wonder, our DCC models either jump, toot the horn/whistle or flash their lights to let us know a CV value change has "taken".

Correction: This unit is not a SD38-2; when I looked at the pic I didn’t notice the radiator fan cover.
The unit is former CP SD40-2 #5902 (blt 12-78); now it spends its days shoving tank cars of ethanol around.
I got this pic when I walked by it with the Loram ballast cleaner that I was with.

I believe it is the plant switcher; the plant is on BNSF's LaJunta sub and there are a couple geeps (GP40-2 still in ATSF paint and lettering; BNSF undercab & a GP30 in the new BNSF 'swoosh' scheme) tied down a couple miles from this unit.

The ATSF unit is a GP50; not a GP40-2 ( I saw it from a distance and didn't notice the radiator intakes are wider than a GP40s. I can't make out the unit # on the former GP30 to post its history ( I will try to get it later this week).

BNSF 3166, EMD GP50 ex ATSF 3813, derated to 2500-HP and reclassified by BNSF as GP25.

1525307729297.png

I am going to try and get some pics of them if I can.

Today I saw what looked like a rebuilt GP7 doing some switching; it wasn't a BNSF unit. Hopefully this week I will get a decent pic of it as well.

The unit wasn't a GP7; it was former ICG GP8 #7907 nee IC GP9 #9110 (blt 3/55) Now Garden City Western GP8 #801

1525308005796.png

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back