Transalpina 2015/16 (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

I have edited a few more pics, so I would like to invite you to an Alpine tour over the past year.

Shortly after returning from the Transylvanian journey I went on a day trip to Salzkammergut on April 9 2015. In the morning I arrived at Lake Traunsee in wonderful mood, rather late winter than early spring.
transalp15601.jpg

ÖBB class 1142 still can be met in some parts of Austria, particularly on the Salzkammergut Railway. Hurry to see them as long as new ÖBB Cityjet EMUs (Desiro Mainline) have not been delivered in masses.
REX 3411 leaves Ebensee towards Attnang-Puchheim.
transalp15602.jpg

This spot above Siegesbach-Tunnel with view at Traunkirchen and Traunstein had been nicely cleared of vegetation.
transalp15603.jpg

I spent the afternoon at always gorgeous Lake Hallstatt, in the shade the snow reached the lake shore.
transalp15604.jpg

This year, on January 29 2016, I returned to the Alps and caught the meeting of my REX 1506 Salzburg - Wörgl with REX 1507 from Innsbruck near St. Johann im Pongau.
transalp15605.jpg

I got off at Taxenbach-Rauris. Soon afterwards 1163.003 passed by with a local freight conveying narrow gauge diesel VL 7 (Gmeinder / Bj. 1940) from Murtal Railway to the SLB workshops at Tischlerhäusl.
transalp15606.jpg

I was headed for the Salzach-reservoir near Högmoos to catch EuroCity 163 and 164, proper successors of the legendary "Transalpin". In this direction Graz - Zürich sadly the Swiss SBB first class observation dome car was located at the rear end of the train.
transalp15607.jpg

On EC 163 Zürich - Graz it was coupled to the loco in this section.
transalp15608.jpg

I took a bus to Zell am See, where the Lake of same name looked lovely but way too ice-free for this time of year.
transalp15609.jpg

A class 1142 showed up on this line as well, I spotted it on Friday and Saturday.
transalp15610.jpg

Next morning "narrow gauge express steamer" 73-019 still rolled through fog at Walchen along the Pinzgau Railway.
transalp15611.jpg

However, in Upper Pinzgau Valley the fog already had cleared and left behind iced trees along Salzach River. R 3315 Krimml - Zell am See was being pushed out of Rosental halt.
transalp15612.jpg

Shortly afterwards the steam special approached trailing a long plume of steam in front of the Alpine backdrop.
transalp15613.jpg

transalp15614.jpg

View through Upper Sulzbach Valley towards the 10000 ft high peaks around Mt. Großvenediger.
transalp15615.jpg

The wonderful spectacle ended with one of many highlights.
transalp15616.jpg

Before returning to Vienna I walked along Lake Zell in the afternoon only now free from fog - in this picture you can also discover a narrow gauge train.
transalp15617.jpg

On April 24 2015 I departed southbound from Vienna Meidling station early morning.
transalp15618.jpg

We are entering the realm of green energy.
transalp15619.jpg

Bohinj Railway is part of the transalpine link which in Italian is called "Ferrovia Transalpina". The loco-hauled avtovlak through Bohinj Tunnel is well-known, in this case operating the extended service to Most na Soci. Spanish MACOSA-built GM-licence SZ 644-020 crossed the river Baca near Grahovo in the last afternoon light.
transalp15620.jpg

I slept at Most na Soci, next morning it rained - but the mood turned out dreamy.
transalp15621.jpg

At this time rerouted freight trains hauled by ÖBB class 2016 still frequented the Bohinj Railway.
transalp15622.jpg

No photo spot for the faint-hearted - Bohinj-Tunnel nowadays is only traversed by a single track, the buffer stop was right behind me, no worry. The GM engine thunder of the class 644 hauling the avtovlak could be felt in my stomach. See: https://youtu.be/f2aVp_q6rT4?t=5m37s
transalp15623.jpg

Motorized Podbrdo points operator.
transalp15624.jpg

After staying overnight at Ljubljana I visited a point of interest for railway enthusiasts during the past years - Borovnica with its diesel drag operation due to rebuilding the overhead wires after a disastrous ice rain in February 2014. In the meantime electric service has resumed. MV 481 Ljubljana - Rijeka had been coupled to a class 664 "Reagan" and accelerated up the grade before 7 a.m.
transalp15625.jpg

Apart from four international services this was the only other passenger train on the line not replaced by busses: IC 508 Koper - Ljubljana, here as the extraordinary example of a Fiat-DMU at least clean on one side.
transalp15626.jpg

Borovnica valley features a proper horseshoe-curve which just was being negotiated by this long Adria Transport freight train. However, it only became necessary after the massive Borovnica Viaduct had been destroyed in WWII. A remnant still is visible today:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borovnica_Viaduct
transalp15627.jpg

SZ GM diesels were supported by Eurorunner locos from various companies.
transalp15628.jpg

On August 21 2015 I visited Celje - the destination of the diesel service can easily be detected as well.
transalp15629.jpg

At Stranje the lines branch off to Rogatec and Croatia as well as Imeno.
Next morning at sunrise I encountered a great foggy mood in Savinja Valley.
transalp15630.jpg

Borsig 06-018 was being prepared for its regular Saturday special.
transalp15631.jpg

Hours later high summer heat had prevailed as MUZ 13420 steamed past me towards Imeno 45 minutes delayed at Sentvid pri Grobelnem.
transalp15632.jpg

During my visit to Bohinj Railway on May 9 2015 it was also already quite hot with showers as I watched a rerouted freight crossing Solkan Bridge from the terrace of Gostilna na Prevalu inn.
transalp15633.jpg

Kriegslok 33-037 just had passed the probably longest stone railway bridge with its special to Bled. On the horizon you can catch a glimpse of the Adriatic.
transalp15634.jpg

Exactly where I was headed next. Trieste offers several railway gems, for example the unique tramway Trieste – Opicina which on a section is being operated as a funicular railway.
transalp15635.jpg

Two units coupled to special cable tractors at the meeting point near Sant’Anastasio halt.
transalp15636.jpg

I stayed at a private accommodation the female owner of which turned out to be the Villa Opicina head of police, who conjured up a wonderful espresso for breakfast. The morning became even sweeter with the morning light at Barcola Viaduct, here with Intercity 584/585 Trieste - Rome.
transalp15637.jpg

Morning-IC 735 Venezia - Trieste Centrale was approaching the endpoint of the Ferrovia Transalpina. Behind the viaduct white Miramare Castle and the Alps as backdrop.
transalp15638.jpg

One highlight was sleeper Intercity Notte 774/775 Rome - Trieste.
transalp15639.jpg

Frecciabianca 9716 Trieste - Turin at a city view.
transalp15640.jpg

I had started the journey at Venice with the train attendant of just seen ICN Rome - Trieste looking out at the lagoon.
transalp15641.jpg

If you look for class E402A electrics - here they can be found in masses as they also take over shunting duties from Venezia Santa Lucia terminal to the mainland. The Alps were slowly emerging from the haze in the background.
transalp15642.jpg

First I took pictures of the sunrise on Tronchetto Island.
transalp15643.jpg

Alps, trains, boats, bustling life - Venice offers plenty of opportunities even for rail landscape photography!
transalp15644.jpg

More photo spots along the relatively new Tronchetto people mover.
transalp15645.jpg

View from Ponte della Costituzione towards a Frecciargento high speed EMU in EXPO Milan livery.
transalp15646.jpg

Due to traffic restrictions many deliveries still are carried out by hand.
transalp15647.jpg

transalp15648.jpg

Bella Italo-ia!
transalp15649.jpg

To conclude the report a panorama with the EuroNight arriving from Vienna and Munich viewed from Cannaregio Canal with Ponte dei Tre Archi to the left. In the foreground a scene which has been modernized: automated rubbish collection, not the classic dustmen of Venice anymore.
transalp15650.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back