Tram and VAL Tour de France (with pics)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

for my big vacation a few years ago year I chose a "Tour de France". Amongst a lot of cathedrals and other sights, I visited two VAL-Métros and several trams all around the country. The tour started in Lille in northern France

Tram

The tram network consists of two lines (R, T). Both start at a below ground station next to "Lille Flandres" railway station. The lines run to Roubaix (R) and Tourcing (T). Two trams with different paint jobs (old and refurbished) wait at Lille Flandres for their next run.

t_flandresbxs58.jpg

t_flandres2g3s11.jpg

The underground section covers two stations, then the lines continue above ground

t_extzvssp.jpg

This tram in Tourcing will return to Lille in a few minutes

t_tourcing3osen.jpg

View from a bridge near stop "Buisson"

t_ext2cqs7p.jpg

Métro

The Métro has two lines too. It is fully automated and uses rubber-tired VAL rolling stock. The platform door shield the tracks until the train arrives. Sight from within a train.

m_tunnelr9sg3.jpg

m_tunnel2zzsx9.jpg

Platform view at stop "Les Pres"

m_lespres41gs80.jpg

Impression taken in the vicinity of "Les Pres".

m_lespresnlsi4.jpg

m_lespres2ausd9.jpg

m_lespres3z9se9.jpg

As the 2-coach VAL trains cannot cope with the ridership anymore, extension works are in progress to allow usage of longer train. The Frensh version of "Your tax dollars at work"

m_renoq5sqy.jpg

The VAL trains are pretty narrow.

m_int99sjg.jpg

Always a nice motif: Métro and green. Train on a bridge that spans over the former goods station "St Saveur"

m_pontwws61.jpg

Some more mixed VAL impression taken around the city

m_extr5soc.jpg

m_ext29osje.jpg

The yard at terminal station "Quatre Canton"

m_depotdvs1c.jpg

The car park next to the station offered a view from above on the trains turning around to head back into town.

m_terminus4asue.jpg

Tram Touristique

The the suburb of Marquette an old tram line (AMITRAm) runs alone the Deûle. The depot in Marquette.

amitram_depotsls1b.jpg

A round-trip ticket costs 5€. For the money you get a 2km in old, rattling rolling stock. The guys that run the line told me that the overhead wiring gets stolen from time to time. This year they at to put a lot of effort to get most of the line back into business for the summer tourist season. When I was there, this tram was in service

amitram_tramtbsn1.jpg

amitram_tram28rsth.jpg

A tram, a river (its more a canal): Perfect setting.

amitram_tram37nscf.jpg

Misc Stiff

To wrap this up, some mixed impressions form different corners of the city. The "Tour de Lille" of the roof of TGV-/Eurostar-/Thalys-Station "Lille Europe"

europe2spsdp.jpg

A look downt unto the platform. The doors leading to the stairs can be locked. This feature is used, when Eurostar trains stop here to avoid passengers getting unto the train without being screened.

europe34zsov.jpg

The walls in Métro stop Europe are a giant artwork

europe4sls6s.jpg

In Lille classic architecture

archansoh.jpg

theatrerysbh.jpg

meets modern architecture

arch2d1s7h.jpg

One of my favourites: The hotel at Europe-station at sunset

europe54tseg.jpg

The cathedral "Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille de Lille" is one of the youngest chatedrals in France. Construction started in the 19. century und and was finished in the 90s of the 20. century (by putting the modern facade in place)

cath7tsvo.jpg

On the inside classic and mordern elements mix

cath2m9svo.jpg

Last but not least: A bit of green (picture taken on the outskirts of the park that surounds the Citadelle)

cit24sca.jpg

Part two of my Tour de France report is a compilation of pictures of two trips that I made while staying in Lille: I went to Rouen and Valciennes.

Valenciennes

Valenciennes is just a 45min train ride away from Lille

The tram network consists of two lines. Both lines start at the same station and part ways after passing through downtown. I did not like the paint job of the trams that mich. I was a bit too boring for my taste. Your take on the colour?

t_ext40sgg.jpg

t_ext238spp.jpg

t_proce_depot_waast2gshc.jpg

On the inside, they looked a bit better

t_intvwsui.jpg

Classic motif in Frensh cities: Tram in a roundabout (taken next to "Nungesser" station)

t_nangesserhmsi3.jpg

A bridge near "Anzin Hotel de Ville" offered a nice view from above

t_anzin_hdv7ksnp.jpg

t_anzin_hdv2iksgn.jpg

The tracks surrounding "Chemin Vert" ("green way") literally match the stations name.

t_chemvert2mls3n.jpg

t_chemvert3m3sqm.jpg

t_chemvertf9sx5.jpg

Bridge "Pont Jacob" spans over the tracks of the rail station and the Schelde river

t_pont_jacob9sskt.jpg

Impressions from Valenciennes railway station

gareaostt.jpg

gare2flssf.jpg

An architectural marvel: The town hall

hdvc3slg.jpg

Rouen

The trip to Rouen took a bit longer: 3 hours both ways. For the outbound trip I used a direct TER. For the return I had to use Intercité and TGV services via Paris

As some stations are below the surface, the tram is called "Métro" (I will stick to tram ;-)). A tram at the stop below the railway station.

x3r3ph4.jpg

Just one word: "Vertigo":

m_pdj5tztb.jpg

The tram network has two lines (both named "M"). Both start at "Boulingrin". I will hop on this train heading to downtown in a few minutes.

m_terminus_boulingrinj8ygk.jpg

m_terminus_boulingrintyxj9.jpg

Mixed tram impressions (as I cannot decipher my own hand writing, I cannot tell anymore where I took the pictures).

m_st_julienhsl0e.jpg

m_jnsoui2alp.jpg

Trams passing the Seine river

x2yqppj.jpg

m_pont2kxz51.jpg

m_pontoqa3l.jpg

The Seine without trams is nice too ;-)

x1joqeh.jpg

A look into a tram

m_int7ebmz.jpg

The no-frills station design

m_arretthldf.jpg

The cathedrals sticks out from the rest of the buildings

tour_cathehz6a.jpg

The facade was quite impressive

cath_extj7zu1.jpg

Want to refurbish your staircase and need some ideas? How about this?

cath_escaliersvnya4.jpg

Church St. Ouen was nice to look at too.

st_ouendpzt8.jpg

The clock tower ("Le Gros Horloge")

horlogex0z58.jpg

Outside view of Rouen railway station. On the inside there were some nice murals on the wall

gare279lso.jpg

A TER leaves the station

garegaxwv.jpg

These two trips endet may stay in Lille, I packed my stuff and hopped on a train heading south.

the next stop of the tour was Tours (no pun intended ;-)). It's ideally located for several trips to neihbouring cities. Let's start with pictures taken in Tours and Orléans

Tours

Tours has one tram line. The design is quite unique and offers a contrast to usually round design used in new frensh tram networks. I liked the design: These angled, silver-grey trains have special vibe.

t_anatoleatj0y.jpg

Silver tram and blue sky, thats all I need.

t_anatole2t5jgb.jpg

At dusk I started to recignize, how bright the lighting of trams was

t_garefkk4z.jpg

In the city centre the tram uses APS to avoid overhead wiring.

t_pietonneohjhu.jpg

Near station "Anatole France" a bridge spans across the Loire. This was my favourite spot for taking pictures

t_pont3rnsud.jpg

t_pontyfs79.jpg

t_pont4rmslx.jpg

I guess everybody who travels to Tours for tram watchting, takes this pictures: A view from "Anatole France" across the bridge to the other side, where the tram climbs up a steep hill (and the flags give it a nice touch too).

t_pont2ubsxr.jpg

Or do you prefer trams in the greens? No problem, Tours has this as well

t_verte1t0skq.jpg

t_verte2o0see.jpg

The interieur seem to be a lot more fancy than usual

t_int1oyjci.jpg

t_int2egkqg.jpg

The "Cockpit"

t_cabhikrn.jpg

The stripes on the floor of the station from a quite different perspective. These stripes do lead to the trams door

t_leitstreifenackvh.jpg

Tours railway station at dusk

gareoakvj.jpg

The no-frill version to indicate where the different coaches will stop along the platform.

gare_compositionpijnt.jpg

On the wall, there were mosaics of different cities. The SNCF is looking for patrons who will help financing the restauration of the mosaics. So if you have money to spare...

gare_mosaic34kux.jpg

St Martin Basilica

bas_st_martintyjhw.jpg

The artwork at the tower of the former Collegiate St Martin pays tribute to bishop Martins good deed

st_martincok39.jpg

In St Gatien Cathedral a whole window is dedicated to his life

cath_st_martin_vitredgjul.jpg

Just one word: Wow.

cath_rosetteefk2w.jpg

And shot of the cathedral facade

cathgvkel.jpg

As most medium sized frensh city has a cathedral, I was tempted to call the report series "Trams and Cathedrales". As I cannot pass by a cathedral without dropping in, I collected huge amounts of church and especially stain glass window pictures during this trip (luckily the memory card in my camera was huge enough to deal with it ;-)).

Orléans

Orléans has two tram lines. They intersect at "De Gaulle" station. Line A uses overhead wires

t_de_gaulleoyjp2.jpg

whereas line B rund using APS

t_de_gaulle3n5klo.jpg

t_de_gaulle20aku1.jpg

The interieur design, is more or less business as usual

t_intn9k4e.jpg

Tram of line B in front of the cathedral

t_cath7xjw0.jpg

The cathedral in all its glory

cath05kk9.jpg

On the inside, a windows is dedicated to this special, young woman (who got pretty hot feet later on). Mind a guess?

cath_jeannelqkmv.jpg

Loire, Bridge, Tram

t_pontpxjol.jpg

Or do you prefer Loire, Bridge, Tram and Cathedral?

t_pont2d2kg7.jpg

Or just Loire and Cathedral?

cath_loire6ykvl.jpg

A nice piece of modern architecture: The station of Orléans.

gare_facadeldk73.jpg

gare_intt7jvh.jpg

The bridge "Pont l'Europe"

pont_europey8jsp.jpg

And finally, chow time in the butterfly house of the "Parc Floral de la Source"

parc_pappillion9gj82.jpg

This concludes part three of my little Tour de France.

Welcome the fourth installment of my Tour de France: Angers und Le Mans.

Angers

Currently, Angers has one line. But expansion of the network in underway

t_ext_reseautuj9o.jpg

The trams are white with colourful stripes. After leaving stop "Gares" this tram heads downtown.

t_garelaki8.jpg

A got this one jst in time before it "hid" behind the pole

t_gare2bik4h.jpg

Pictures from the vicinity of stop "Verbeau". The tracks on the right lead to the depot.

t_depotzejm7.jpg

t_depot3y9jln.jpg

My favourite picture from Angers: Colourful tram under blue skies with some green and brown.

t_depot2y0j88.jpg

I cannot resist trams on bridges ;-).

t_pont0njy1.jpg

t_pont2k4kaz.jpg

Angers is another city that uses APS in the city centre. Additionally, trams have to single track between "Molière" and "Ralliement" stops

t_une_voie44jab.jpg

A view from afar on a tram approaching "Molière"

t_une_voie2phkkm.jpg

The cathedral St Maurice reside upon the hill

chatajkpx.jpg

Nice mix of old stones and modern, see-through roof: The "Galerie David d'Angers"

galerieu5k7o.jpg

A real eye-catcher: The Theatre

theatrerhjku.jpg

The sightseeing highlight in Anger: The Chateau. I went there a few years back, when I visited friends in Nantes. It houses a giant tapistry about the Apocalypse. This tapistry is worth a visit. So, when you are in Angers: Go and check it out.

chateaudzk28.jpg

In the mood for some relaxating with plants and water. Try "Jardin de Mail" gardens near the town hall.

fontaine7hj5q.jpg

As I knew Angers quite a bit from a former visit, I only went there for the tram. Later that day I hopped on a train to go to Le Mans.

Le Mans

Le Mans has two tram lines. For me, the paint job ranges somewhere between copper and rusty red. But with some green background, this looks pretty good (pictures taken near stop "St Martin").

t_st_martin13sng.jpg

t_st_martin2vbsrj.jpg

t_st_martin30wsm0.jpg

Just two words: Tram and bridge. In the foreground the remains of a former stone bridge.

t_pont3ds4u.jpg

Pretty steep decent from stop "Republique" for line T1

t_downkks19.jpg

or uphill climb from "Eperon Cité"

t_derrierex7s3g.jpg

This stop is close to the old town, which has a quite a hughe number of little passage ways and narrow streets. Additionally, houses of different types of architecture. Strolling around there, it a lot fun. The best way for orientation: Look out for the cathedral.

cathzisl2.jpg

Getting closer look

cath2s2s30.jpg

Inside, several awesome stain glass windows. I really took a liking to these little devils

cath_teifelb9szb.jpg

The tram stop "Jacobin" of line T2 is close to the cathedral. This tram has just left the stop and heads towards the railway station.

t_jacobinkfs3i.jpg

The roof above the platforms of Le Mans station reminded me of tents

garez7smt.jpg

From Le Mans I went back to my hotel Tours and headed further south the next day

Bonjour,

next stop of the Tour de France: A fews days in Bordeaux.

Tram

My impression of the tram: Its a victim of its own success. The tram were pretty crowded. The APS power supply system that works without overhead wiring was originally developped for the tram in Bordeaux. The aim was to keep the archictural marvel of the city free of wires.

Tram impression from station "Hotel de Ville"

t_hdvegsnk.jpg

t_hdv2wgsqn.jpg

t_hdv3p8sqc.jpg

The tower of the cathedral St. André is few meters away from the building. It offers great view unto the cathderal

tour_cathcms97.jpg

over the city

tour_pano5nsev.jpg

unto the court house (to me this look more like a bunch of silos than a goverment building)

tour_pdjpusr2.jpg

Looking down unto the trams below

tour_tf2sm6.jpg

tour_t2s2siu.jpg

tour_t3vasi9.jpg

In "Buttinière" line A seperates in two branches. As there is a lot of green there, this made for some nice pictures.

t_butt1edj5u.jpg

t_butt28akdb.jpg

t_butt3k3jrj.jpg

t_butt48bj13.jpg

t_butt5jpkg4.jpg

t_butt6iuj15.jpg

Tram in front of the cathedral.

t_cath_tour3ekfa.jpg

The tram passes the Garonne river via the "Pont de Pierre".

t_pont8vse4.jpg

t_pont3qvs64.jpg

In the background the tower of church St Michel

t_pont2kssmq.jpg

In the church, there were several modern windows like this one of "The last supper"

michel179u7t.jpg

The "Pont de Pierre" at night.

pont_nuitzmk52.jpg

The "Place de la Bourse" offeres great architecture. Its great to look at day and night.

t_boursedjkhl.jpg

bourselxuds.jpg

bourse247u5p.jpg

bourse34xu09.jpg

The theatre "Grand Theatre" at night.

theatreh1sjz.jpg

One of the depots is near stop "Thier". Trams waiting for their next call of duty.

t_depot6fsbg.jpg

I call this "Portrait of a tram" ;-).

t_ramecqs1q.jpg

Tram of line B in a siding at "Bassin à Flot". Only every second train will continue further to the outskirts of the city. Fun fact: The tram passes over a lock. There are tracks on each gate of the lock, to keep the trams running, even if one gate to open to let a ship enter the lock.

t_bassinp8kwd.jpg

Next to the stop the bridge "Pont Chaban Delmas". Its a vertical-lift bridge that can be opened to let ships pass. When I passed there during the day, it was open

pont_chabin3zksz.jpg

later on at night, it was closed

xxx1knscm.jpg

Near the terminus "Berges de la Garonne" (line B) the road bridge "Pont de l'Aquitaine" spans across the Garonne. A took a ride with bus line 32, which runs over the bridge: Nice view from up there.

pont_aquitaine4wkg3.jpg

pont_aquitaine243j8r.jpg

And now, another church: "Sacré Coeur". Its s short walk away from Bordeaux main railway station St Jean.

sacre.jpgnnjxh.jpg

In addition to the usual big rose window, there were several small ones.

sacre26qk6h.jpg

sacre31ektn.jpg

Tram tracks and green in the night always make for a nice sohot.

t_nuitykskq.jpg

I did not notice the white stripes during the day

t_nuit27rs4w.jpg

The stop "Quiconnes" looks like an allée.

t_nuit36ssan.jpg

After that much trams, a bit of rest in the "Jardin Publique" garden

jardincau8p.jpg

If you want to see some water, head to "Le Lac".

lacd2ueg.jpg

"Real" Railway

As my hotel was close to the station, I had a nice of the railway bridge across the Garonne. Some impressions of the "real" railway.

Station hall of station St Jean

gare_intiiuab.jpg

A mural of the former rail network in the south west

gare_planrgu5p.jpg

Shunting of an Intercité trainset on the bridge

gare_pont1hpu6a.jpg

A TGV leaves Bordeaux (I guess it heads to Paris).

gare_pont2jvubd.jpg

A TER approaching St Jean

gare_pont3tzuf4.jpg

A TGV-Duplex

gare_pont400u8x.jpg

Morning has broken. After a little morning photo tour, I really enjoyed my breakfast.

gare_pont6j6uap.jpg

gare_pont7rwu9q.jpg

gare_pont8aauha.jpg

In terms of architecture, Bordeaux was the hightlight of the trip. When you have a chance to go there: Just do it. After two nights, I grabbed my bag and got back on the train further south.

this is the final installment of my Tour de France. The last stops of my trip where Toulouse and Besancon.

Toulouse

Toulouse has two Métro and two tram line. The metro is of type VAL and uses rubber tires

Line A on the bridge across the motorway near terminus "Balma-Gramont"

m_ponttfs16.jpg

m_pont23ase9.jpg

As "Balma-Gramont" station is underground, a ramp connects it with the bridge

m_pont3lssix.jpg

m_pont48zspf.jpg

I happen to catch two types of rolling stock.

m_pont58zsj1.jpg

m_pont60gshm.jpg

Three minute headways between the trains made my job pretty easy. No long waits between trains. The announcements in the metro were in two languages: Frensh and Occitan. Several signs showed street names in both languages too.

signet4sug.jpg

A must with VAL trains: Platform doors.

m_stationsjsx8.jpg

m_station36ws0b.jpg

There were different version of interieur design. Here is one them. As it was almost impossible to catch an empty train, I did not manage to take a picture of the other designs.

m_int9jsxq.jpg

"Cab" view. Unfortunately, we did not pass another train.

m_frontx8saw.jpg

Stickers on the platform doors reminded the riders to behave. My favourite: "Volume is good for you hair, for public transportation: no so much"

m_poliy1slj.jpg

Some stations had artwork. An installation in station "Palais de Justice"

m_pdjonskg.jpg

This station offers a transfer to the tram. Both tram line end here. A tram is waiting for its departure time

t_pdjlbsua.jpg

t_pdj3qdscu.jpg

Tail tracks covered with green

t_pdj42ush8.jpg

t_pdj5evsfj.jpg

Nightfall at the "Palais de Justice"

t_pdj68vsbi.jpg

Looking for the next tram stop or metro station? These sign will guide you

signe_mtaosbo.jpg

Tram stop design.

t_fer2a3s4o.jpg

t_fer19srr.jpg

Tram on the "Pont St Michel" bridge approaching its next stop "Cheval de Fer"

t_pont8lxjt.jpg

The tram line that runs to the airport passes over the motoorway using this nice looking, modern bridge.

t_pont_aeroysl2v.jpg

t_pont_aero2rgzyo.jpg

The airport is located in the suburb town Blagnac. The industrial park seem to consist mostly of aircraft industrie. A lot of buildings had the Airbus logo. Even the partnership with a German town is "advertised" with a tribute to aeronautics.

wingikbum.jpg

As last tram picture: A look inside.

t_ing0hsth.jpg

Apart from tram and metro watching, I did some sightseeing two. Looks like tweo churches, but it is one building: The Cathedral St Etienne.

cath3essz.jpg

An example of the brownstone architecture that dominates Toulouse: The "Halles aux Grains"

halles_aux_grainv9siu.jpg

The "Pont Neuf" spans the Garonne river.

fleuve2ymssy.jpg

For relaxion, take a few minutes and enjoy the green in the "Grand Rond" garden.

ront_point6vspm.jpg

ront_point23essw.jpg

Or do you prefer a stroll along water: Try the "Canal du Midi".

midi2hssns.jpg

midimgsii.jpg

As I am a computer scientist who had to deal with character encoding issues in the past, this made me smile.

encoding5hsy9.jpg

That's it about Toulouse. Now on to the final leg of the trip: Besancon.

Besancon

My brother suggested a visit to Besancon, because he had go there on business and liked the city. So I trusted his judgement (and he was right, it is a nice place). This stop over had an additional avantage: I could split me journey home into two segments. Instead of ten hours on the train, first 6 hours to Besancon and the next day four hours home.

My TGV leaves the TGV station "Besancon-Franche Comté TGV" (located on the LGV Rhin-Rhône high speed line)

gare_tgvagsi5.jpg

Artwork in the station

gare_artqkswj.jpg

Unlike most TGV stations located outside of cities, this one has a rail connection to the city. TER shuttles run to Besancons Viotte station

viotte9rska.jpg

Besancon has two tram lines. The railway station is served by one of these two lines. Busses and tram are painted in turquoise color. Tram at Gare Viotte

t_viottehhs8t.jpg

Both lines at "Hauts du Chazal". In the background the depot.

t_depot1qs94.jpg

Once again, a tram in a roundabount (near stop "Allende")

t_allendexssci.jpg

Nice mix of blue and green (near "Allende" too)

t_allende2gcs41.jpg

A look inside. In contrast to most modern trams in France, these are not build by Alstom but by Spanish company CAF

t_int00sz9.jpg

Tram at stop "Canot". The building in the background is the "Cite Universitaire"

t_citebos7s.jpg

t_cite2gusdo.jpg

The river "Doubs" surrounds most of the city centre. On the hill above the city is a Citadelle.

citadellekvsum.jpg

citadelle331sjm.jpg

A wooden dragon on guard duty in front of the Citadelle

dragonyfs6x.jpg

A look unto the city. On the right the tower of Cathedral St Jean

villelks5j.jpg

I want to close the series with another church window: There must not always people et al be shown. A pattern could be just as nice (at least thats my take).

cath_vitrehmsz6.jpg

This wraps up 12 days on the road (or better on the rails ;-)). It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed every minute of the trip. A lot of sighseeing, tram and metro riding in addition to a lot of fine dining and wine made for a great holiday. Apart from a bit of rain in Tours and Besancon, I managed to stay ahead of any bad weather. Mostly, it was sunny with about 30°C .

I hope you enjoyed my little trip best of.

Take care.
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back