Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Sunday's (10-07-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder had the usual engine and car set.

IMG_0001.jpg

Hot on the tail of the Builder was a six car Sounder Special full of disappointed Seahawks fans following the Hawks loss to the Rams.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Monday afternoon (10-8-18) a southbound (tt/west) with two 700 series BNSF War Bonnets went past the marsh.

773 was on the head end.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

718 brought up the rear.

IMG_0003.jpg

A northbound local on the Bellingham Sub was leaving Conway, WA. after switching the grain elevator there. Taken from my pickup during a bird photography trip Thursday (10-11-18) because I wanted to get shots of the remaining units still in Cascade green. I wish I could have gotten a photo of the front as the nose and number board were white.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Back home Friday afternoon (10-12-18) from Sunset Ave. A southbound (tt/west) local with two Boeing bunker cars waits at MP for two Everet bound Sounders.

IMG_0001.jpg

5:00pm Sounder running late

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

5:30pm Sounder close to being on time. The Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8), which should have topped in town between these two Sounders, was a no show.

IMG_0005.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) freight with an interesting array of power passed the marsh Sunday afternoon (10-14-18) as my son and I were out photographing birds.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I especially liked the 2819. Although stenciling on the side sill identifies it as a GP39-2, it retains the full, distinctive roof line of its GP30 origins.
The GP30 model was introduced in 1961. It is nice to see some, even though they may be rebuilds, still in mainline service on a class I railroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP30

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday morning (10-16-18) Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A northbound (tt/east) freight had an interesting mix of older power.

563: B40-8W
330: GP60B
2669: GP39-3
3026: GP40E

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

While Friday afternoon (10-19-18) was sunny and clear at my house (400 ft. elevation), Puget Sound remained fogged in all day long.

The 5:00pm Seattle-Everett Sounder emerges from the fog as it passes by the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I love fog...Thanks Bill

Then you would love being here for the past week. I just heard on the radio that a fog advisory for the morning commute is in effect until 11:00am.

I am getting a little frustrated as the fog is keeping me from walking around our small downtown and taking photos of the autumn leaves. They are especially colorful this year as we have not yet had any big rain or wind storms to knock them off the trees.

Last edited:
My son took these photos of a northbound (tt/east) oil tanker passing the marsh Tuesday afternoon (10-23-18).

CREX 1414 was up front...

IMG_0001.jpg

and CREX 1416 was at the rear.

IMG_0002.jpg

Thursday morning (10-25-18) from the fishing pier. While there were several older units in the lashup of this northbound (tt/east), none were B units.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

My son took these shots of a southbound (tt/west) passing the marsh Friday afternoon (10-26-18) using my 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom after I adjusted the settings for him. I think his photos are getting very good.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

Sunday's (10-28-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was not lacking for power with a Cascades unit in the consist.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Monday afternoon (10-29-18) my son and I went to Brackett's Landing North. Last summer I bought a used Canon 2x series II tekeconverter and wanted to try it out in conjunction with my 500L telephoto lens and 7DII. The 7DII has a crop frame sensor which gives the package the equivalent of a 1600mm focal length. My son used the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom for "closeups."

Lots of maintenance work has been going on in the area.

01.jpg

A coal train bound for Canada passed by after the MoW equipment cleared.

02.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) was approaching from across Brown's Bay.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Rear DPU of the coal train.

05.jpg

A two train shot with the southbound + head end power of the coal train.

06.jpg

Rear DPU of the coal train.
07.jpg

Head of the southbound.
08.jpg

Due to some MoW work being done in the vicinity of the Main St. crossing, the southbound sat at MP 18. On its tail were a garbage train...
09.jpg

and a tank train.

10.jpg

I did not stick around to see how the drama unfolded as I got stung or bitten by something small that hurt like ****. I figured I should go home in case I started to go into shock. Over eight hours later my finger still hurts and is slightly swollen.

Some shots from Tuesday (10-30-18). The trees in the marina are providing an autumn background for my photos taken at the marsh.

The morning Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back