Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bill Anderson

Junuary returned to the Puget Sound region Wednesday (6-13-18) with cooler temps and rain. I was photographing birds at the marsh when it started raining. I packed up my gear and drove over to Sunset Ave. to get some shots of the 5:00pm Sounder and the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The Builder surprised me with two units, just like the old days.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Some trains from Thursday (6-14-18).

An interesting power hop rolled past the marsh. I often see Geeps going by without a train, but seldom road power.

01.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) had a BNSF War Bonnet in the consist, which I photographed for the Omaha Posse.

02.jpg

We relocated to Brackett's Landing North. With the approach of the summer solstice, Puget Sound is experiencing the lowest tides of the year. I experimented with wide angle shots of an MoW train(?) heading to the Edmonds spur track.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

A little after 5:00pm I drove up to Sunset Ave. to see a train parked at MP 18 for the afternoon passenger parade. It was not yet time for the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8), so I hoped to photograph a meet between the two.

05.jpg

I sat through a meet with a freight,

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Bill Anderson

and the 6:00pm Sounder.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The freight, fairly long and powered by an SD75M and two GP60B's, pulled out after the last Sounder of the day. I had to leave and have no idea when/if the Empire Builder stopped in Edmonds.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Bill Anderson

Friday (6-15-18) at the marsh. The term "foreign power" can be quite literal. Edmonds is not that far from Canada, so it is not uncommon to see
CP and CN units. We are a long way from Mexico, so a FerroMex diesel in a consist is somewhat unusual.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) freight had 9941 in the consist. I'll have to be on the lookout for 9999.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

That evening I just missed a 6 unit light power hop heading north (tt/east) past Sunset Ave. I was very disappointed, as the power hop was led by a 1600 series SD40-2 and had other older units in the consist.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Even the sunset was a disappointment.

IMG_0008.jpg

Telephoto shots are not turning out well during our warm and sunny weather due to the heat waves. Tuesday afternoon (6-19-18) I took wide angle shots from the jetty at Brtackett's Landing North.

A northbound (tt/east) local or transfer powered by triclops 1419 (SD60), 1454 (SD60M), and 330 (GP60B) met a garbage train held at MP 18.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The garbage train had to wait for a garbage empty and an oil tanker before getting clearance to proceed south (tt/west).

IMG_0003.jpg

I left after the garbage empty passed but before the tanker arrived. Many people were out enjoying the warm weather and low tides.

IMG_0004.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) freight pulled by a trio of older units passed the marsh on the last evening of spring. I suspect they were part of the power hop I saw heading north Friday evening. These older units are a nice break from the endless parade of newer GE and EMD power that passes through town.

How often do you see a B unit, let alone an ABA trio with the trailing A unit facing rear? The lineup: 1664, SD40-2; 326, GP60B; 1406, SD60.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I finally got a shot of (most of) the front of a repainted triclops.

IMG_0004.jpg

Back in the 70's I read that the useful life (an accounting term used to figure depreciation) of a diesel locomotive was fifteen years. Low numbered GE C44-9W units in the H1 paint scheme, the first units factory painted for the then new BNSF, are over 20 years old. I wonder how long they and other early third generation diesels will be starting power on transcontinental mainline freights for class 1 railroads.

Last edited:
Right time, wrong direction.

At 5:09pm I am usually photographing the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8). I got a surprise the first day of summer as a nearly eight hour late #7 stopped at Edmonds before passing the marsh on its way to Seattle.

01.jpg

I assumed #8 would be canceled. Much to my surprise, the train returned four hours later, making the Edmonds station stop a few minutes after the 9:12pm summer solstice sunset that I was photographing from the fishing pier.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com