Time to say hi

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Restricted Speed

EN09 ENGINEER IN TRAINING
Thought I already introduced myself a while back, but I guess not :eek: I guess now's as good a time as any to do it:p

I work as a machinist for BNSF in Los Angeles (Commerce). I have been with them now for 18 months. I work in the GE shop on the locomotives, performing preventative maintenance, as well as other "heavy" repairs. It is a small shop by comparison to other shops on the system, but we do a pretty good job of getting things done.;)

Just last night though, I applied for conductor trainee positions in WY, CO, and WA state, as I want to get out of California something fierce. With any luck I'll land the CO or WY spots :D I have always wanted to get into operations.

Restricted Speed

Welcome Wrench! Glad to have you on board. Best of luck with your move to get out of Cali.

Yes, get out before it gets worse! LOL.
Oh no kidding!! All the traffic and people :eek: It's a 100 mile round trip commute for me right now, but to live closer isn't feasible. Not only would it put me in undesirable neighborhoods, but my wife has horses, and there just isn't many equestrian areas in Southern Kookiefornia.

mille-ryan

Union Pacific Machinist
Oh now Im back to working on airplanes, Its not like it used to be, and I hate the east coast as much as you want to get out of Cali,lol.
I just flew outta denver on sat night, I dont like to fly yet I work on them, makes no sense.

Im gonna play it out and see where UP hires this next month, Ill either go back as machinists or try work equip mech.

mille-ryan

Union Pacific Machinist
I checked a few days ago wrench I didnt see anything on BNSF. I applied with them 3 times before UP and turned me down then the day I started with UP they called me 3 different times about a job,lol.

Restricted Speed

I checked a few days ago wrench I didnt see anything on BNSF. I applied with them 3 times before UP and turned me down then the day I started with UP they called me 3 different times about a job,lol.
They only had the job postings for conductors for about 5 or 6 days. Its one of those things that you have to check often. Funny what you say about BNSF not contacting you but UP did. It was the opposite for me when I was looking. Lol

Since when does BNSF do that??!! :p

Dunno why those other terminals haven't contacted you, as far as I know, when you do a craft transfer, the railroad is pretty much yours.
Maybe they found furloughed people to fill the spots. Not real sure how the whole process works. I did find out though, that the shop I'm in now is a former ATSF shop. So if I don't make it as a conductor, I will no longer work for BNSF :eek:

Anyway I am here in beautiful CO right now. Did some driving around the area. I think Ft Lupton would be a good fit for my wife and I, since she has horses. Nice small town rural feel :D Only a 15 minute drive to Commerce City, if that's where BNSF's yard is. :confused:

RailroadJeep

The Herder Himself
Wow, I didn't know that! When I transferred, I had the option to return to my prior craft up untill the day I finishing training and actually marked up.

As far as hiring goes, they just rushed a posting to get people in. From what I'm told, there will be another posting for Seattle to fill the rest of the classes. We're also furlough free, and have actually resorted to bringing in mercenaries from other divisions to fill out the supposed crew shortages.

Restricted Speed

I guess shops that are former BN shops allow people to go back. Oh and this only applies to IAM machinists. Electricians and laborers may be different.

Good to hear that they may actually be short handed. To be honest, I am scared to not only move out of state, but also going into something where I'm not sure ill get a regular check. Hopefully they'll keep me busy if I get it. I hope I am getting in at the bottom of the curve for the rebound with the economy.

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
I believe there is a difference in culture and such between the BN and SF since were all BN up in the NW and the SF in the SW.

Restricted Speed

I would have been really happy if I could have landed a gig in North ID, but I don't think we have any train service out of that area do we? I know there is a fueling depot (sfs?) in Hauser, but is there anything else?

RailroadJeep

The Herder Himself
When Hauser opened, the crew change point at Spokane was moved across the border to Hauser. Hauser is a large(r) crew base, considering you have the Hauser-Wenatchee pool, Hauser-Pasco pool, and the double ended Hauser-Whitefish pool. Granted... Spokane is one of the higher seniority terminals in the 05 seniority district, with Seattle being more or less the youngest.

If you do end up making the move, take note of which seniority district you end up in. Post merger, most districts went to system seniority (i can't comment on the particulars of how all that works....), but a few, namely prior BN districts, retained their closed rosters. Pacific 05 is one them. It's a double edged sword, when traffic slumps, a flood of employee's from, let's say Galveston, can't chase work to Seattle. At the same time, we can't chase work to other parts of the system when things get slow. For what it's worth, if you end up in the NWE, out district covers a pretty diverse region. It's pretty much Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

mille-ryan

Union Pacific Machinist
Hey Wrench you could always go up to Havre,MT....BNSF opened jobs for MAchinists there, looks to be real dam close to Canada..little too cold for my wifes blood.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.