The wind train (large pic)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

mille-ryan

Union Pacific Machinist
Yea off the Interstate west of Salida is covered with them. I know up in Wyoming they are putting in a wind farm near glenrock and also down by evanston.

Jackrabbit

Preserving "America's RR"
You know. These wind turbines are good business for the Railroad. But these things are making the landscape so ugly. Just take a look at Iowa. So :(
The flipside of that is it is creating jobs in areas out here that have seen higher than 19% unemployment. These things are more maintanence heavy than you'd think as well, so the jobs should last into the far future.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
The flipside of that is it is creating jobs in areas out here that have seen higher than 19% unemployment. These things are more maintanence heavy than you'd think as well, so the jobs should last into the far future.

unfortunately those jobs require a hefty subsidy, the entire wind power industry is so heavily subsidized that for every $1 they contribute in wages, it takes $2-3 in federal subsidies (federal subsidies = you and me paying for it). And the ugly truth is that the turbines have to be downrated by 75-85% to give a realistic power output. It's very, very inefficient, on par with steam powered railroads.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
Always interesting when I do see these because there are definitely not very many on the Eastern seaboard. I've seen quite a few of them in Germany though and when landing/taking off from Amsterdam on my way back to the states, I noticed quite a few throughout the Dutch countryside.

Neat shot btw. It's a little bit too wide for easy viewing though.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.