The Rail Runner

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bret_D

I left my RV site and caught a bus to the South Capitol station in Santa Fe, NM. The train pulled into the station on time, at 0740. I boarded and bought my day pass ($11) with the intent of riding end-to-end of the 97 mile route. The train traveled northbound for about 2,500 feet and stopped at the Santa Fe depot, end of track. I asked the conductor when the next southbound train would leave. 1302! OK, I'll explore the state capitol a bit. I walked back to the station where I first borded the train. Another northbound train arrived to disgorge its commuters.

There was a caboose on display.

P1070234.JPG

Back at the Santa Fe depot, end of track is just that. Ahead is the free shuttle bus that loops around downtown.

P1070239.JPG

This area is called the Rail Yards. I read a little before visiting, but most of the establishments appeared to still be asleep. A little park close by had walking paths bordered in rail, and the ends of the paths were denoted by a wheelset (welded in place. Darn, that would have been fun to roll.)

P1070251.JPG

Here's a detail shot of the concrete ties (sleepers) and the method for attaching the rails.

P1070258.JPG

"Rail Yard" area, looking south. Wooden ties here. (The sidewalks have rail embedded in them [no flangeways], keeping with the theme. Sort of. The rails on the sidewalk are flush with the surface, same at the roads, resulting in about a six inch drop between the rails as they transition between the sidewalk and road surface.)

P1070276.JPG

In my wanderings, I happened upon a little cafe called "Macalicious", that served the best macaroni and cheese. Sorry the thought popped into my head and I want another helping of that 4 cheese, all bubbly and piping hot from the oven.

But it's was time to head south.

Here's the desert, south of Santa Fe.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back