The Great Columbia River Turkey Shoot

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Welcome to RailroadForums.com, your home for trains on the web!

funnelfan

A couple Wednesdays ago the Union Pacific 150th special left Spokane for Eugene. The train made a hasty trip from Spokane to Page before being held up by work crews clearing the scene of some tunnel work at Ash, WA. I picked up on the train just south of Wallula at Thrasher's Curve.
From there I headed out past Hinkle to near Heppner Jct. Most of us chasers were expecting a flat out catch-them-if-you-can 80mph run to The Dalles. We were surprised when the train came plodding along at less than 50mph. Seems some heat restrictions were in effect which limited the train to 50mph. That turned the chase into a real turkey shoot and we able to capture the train at multiple locations. I'm not going to show all 236 images I took, and not even all the locations. Just the best of the photos.

funnelfan

It was great to get the special at so many locations. This was my first time chasing the E-units on a special, and I had looked forward to this for a long time. I just never expected things to go so good. But the chase came to an abrupt halt at The Dalles........

funnelfan

Just past The Dalles near Crates a small fire erupted between the tracks and river. Not too surprising given the hot days that week. Luckily it was in a sheltered spot largely absent from the winds that were just around the corner. After a nearly two hour delay the train gained clearance through the scene. I found a nice spot just down the tracks a ways. The delay allowed the heat restrictions to expire and the train made some higher speed runs between the sharper curves which still restricted the train's speed.

funnelfan

The special made a scheduled stop at Multnomah Falls where quite a few railfans gathered for a photo. In fact, the closer the train got to Portland, the more railfans joined the chase. I continued the chase through Portland and down the Willamette Valley. With the sun getting low and shadows long, I finally broke off the chase at Salem, OR. I also coordinated with my mother and brother so they had a chance to see the train first hand.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.