The Foothills

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

There has always been something about the Sierra Nevada foothills that has always fascinated me. Its a lot different than any other place on the hill and not very well shot. Here are some recent shots from the area and as I find new locations I will continue to post more.

1. UP 7362 tackles the grade out of Rocklin as they pass through Penryn just outside of Tunnel 16.

2. Empty chicken train between tunnel 15 and 16 a little bit after 845am.

3. An eastbound stack train has entered the town of Newcastle as they make good time out of Roseville.

4. UP 2001 makes its way through the shadows as the sun light quickly fades away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Anderson

I believe it was outside of tunnel #16 where I took a good shot of 4449 heading east to join the Freedom Train back in 1975. Is there still double track between Auburn and Roseville? There was a good spot where I could shoot trains on the downhill line with the valley in the background.

Chicken Train = Chicken Feed for Foster Farms and others in the CV.
Yup. It terminates at Foster Farms' distribution facility just north of Livingston, CA. There used to be a decent sized yard where incoming cars were received and run through the unloading area (five or six cars at a time) by a pair of ex-SP S6 switchers (one of which, #1218, now resides at the Niles Canyon Railway and is being fully restored and will be painted in the "bloody nose" scheme); this has since been replaced by a loop for the "chicken train", but they still receive individual cuts of cars as well (which are run through by the remaining S6).

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com