The best website for railfans

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Ed Sand

General Idiot
I quite like this one, but also enjoy trainorders.com.

This one is free, and has better photography. Trainorders.com has more nostalgia type posts and photographs, which I enjoy, and a bit more professional railroad discussion, as opposed to railfan.

They're both about the same for railfan news. This one is slightly more western/northwestern focused (again, which I like) and Trainorders.com more California focused.

Overall, I really like both and highly recommend both.

Most of the rail forums have nazis moderating it one way or another. If you're not counting enough nuts and bolts, adios muchacho. Not too much hard line moderating here though.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
I've been here almost forever. It's my main RR site. I also frequent the sister model rr forum. I was on trainorders for awhile, but it got a little too hung up on itself, and needing to reduce my www frustration factors I dropped it. Some good folks but a lot of idiots. I'm also on a yahoo regional rr site. It is good for some local info but poorly formatted. I use it for local news and heads-up info mostly. If I post a pic, I'll post here and post a link over on yahoo. The are also several Facebook groups, one I like is Railroad Photography. Photo quality is all over the map, but the variety is great. Due to the volume of posts, threads roll off quickly. And without categories, it tends to be free for all in subject matter.

For quality RR photography, this is probably one of the best if not the best site.

This place and Rail Pictures are my two top every day favorites!
For regional i like Train Foamers and So Cal Railfan.
Yardlimits is a great site from the labor side of things.

I think this one is one of the best. It doesn't seem to matter what train related website you are on because they all get the same news around the same time. I have noticed that this site is deferentially Pacific Northwest biased especially when it comes to the news. Not that it's a bad thing since I used to live in Washington and love to keep up on the news.

SDP45

Abandoned line seeker
I check this site daily for interesting stuff. I've been part of the Yahoogroups since it was Onelist, which seems like forever ago. Facebook has got a few good groups going now, and a bunch of folks I used to see here quite often have popped up over there.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com