Stampede Pass Diary

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

around 7 or 8am, the m-evepas, with 498 axles, has problems with a bad airhose. stops at Easton and conductor has to walk most of the train. gets to ellensburg a bit before 10am, goes into the siding. shuttle van is scheduled to come pick them up at 11am (the train behind them, an X, is carrying a snow plow operator who will be getting a ride with the m-evepas in the same shuttle van).

very busy morning on the sub, trains all over the place, and the local came into ellensburg around 9:30am.

12:17: track inspector is informed by other MOW that "the next eastbound merchandise train is having trouble at kanaskat, so youve probably got time to run all the way to ellensburg."

i am informed elsewhere that MOW on fallbridge is causing these M trains to detour over stampede...

Last edited by a moderator:
Stampede traffic pickup

Glad to see you guys are on the task. Was just reading on NW Railfan list about the pickup in Stampede traffic due to trackwork down south:

M-TACPAS1 runs six days a week, Monday-Saturday
> Current schedule is via Yakima.
> When M-TACPAS4 runs it's via Vancouver. One will
> run today.
> M-TACPAS4-17A should leave Tacoma 1500 01-17
> 4127-4824
> M-TACPAS1-17A should leave Tacoma 2300 01-17

Went by Bristol and E'burg shortly before noon. Bristol still stuffed with dead wells; one x on siding at E'burg and another just pulling in on the main. Wymer cleared of anything...

I saw two eastbound manifests today leaving Auburn. The first was about 9am and it came south from Seattle before heading east. It was led by two GE's but I didn't see the ending...so to speak.

Around 12:30p I was heading westbound on 18 and crossed over one very slowly rolling east past the detector. I didn't see the headend but two GE's brought up the rear, including a red/silver guy.

-Dave

Thanks for the info on them. The first one definitely looked like an EVEPAS with the solid block of centerbeams at the head end. I really miss the PASTAC of ... well, of a long time ago. I wish we could see some westbounds in the mix but I'll take what I can get. Seeing carload freight on the pass almost makes it seem like a legitimate route. :)

-Dave

I saw two eastbound manifests today leaving Auburn. The first was about 9am and it came south from Seattle before heading east. It was led by two GE's but I didn't see the ending...so to speak.
-Dave
Then they both came south from Seattle. The second one lead by BNSF 7529 stopped at Auburn North and then crossed Main Street at 12:04 PM. He stopped with the power in the Sounder Station, and then went around the North Leg of the Wye at 12:14 PM. The power went througn the detector at MP 100.6 at 12:26 PM. He was gaining speed as usual at that point, and then slowed down and stopped with the train on the detector. Pretty soon the detector told him he was going too slow. Then he must have moved because it told him he had four axles.

I'm pretty sure they referred to this as the EVEPAS.

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
Went over to Easton yesterday, 2-4-13 and saw just one eastbound. BNSF 5517/4637 with DPU 7459 on the rear of an Xtrain. After it left Easton MOW had full run of the mountain to do their thing.

1) BNSF 5517 East came into Easton at 11:20 AM and stopped. Crew told MOW they had to isolate one unit, as per the rules before they could give up track warrent so they could occupy the track behind them. At 11:27 they were on the move again.
2) BNSF Xtrain leaving Cle Elum. Note how the snow has thinned out. Temp at the detector east of here read out 41 degrees.
3) BNSF 481900 making Foamers mad.....
4) BNSF DPU 7459 on the rear of the train at MP 12.

Should have gone over Sunday as it seemed a lot more trains were running then. Also, it seems the weather has really been crappy since the first of the year. Not much sunshine but a lot of overcast.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
A few hours ago, I saw an unusual train symbol which is the A TACBYL8 08M,
assuming it's an Amtrak train Tacoma to Boyle, ND? It is scheduled to arrive in Ellensburg around oh 22:46 or so tomorrow night.
There will be a U train tomorrow morning and it's ETA into Ellensburg is around 07:06

A few hours ago, I saw an unusual train symbol which is the A TACBYL8 08M,
assuming it's an Amtrak train Tacoma to Boyle, ND? It is scheduled to arrive in Ellensburg around oh 22:46 or so tomorrow night.
There will be a U train tomorrow morning and it's ETA into Ellensburg is around 07:06
thanks for the info!

i wouldnt be surprised if that is a typo, the A should be an X because BYL is a place where grain trains come from.

and i think thats the normal routing for the U-TAOxxxv empty crude trains. they dont run that often but when they do it's via stampede.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com