Stampede Pass Diary

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
You did well, my son... was the one shot down by the old tunnel or up where the old Martin approach signal bridge used to be?

Martin Burwash
Martin, this was west of tunnel 2 about a 1/2 mile east of the gate at Martin. We went down to tunnel 2, but the trees obscure too much of the shot for a westbound. It still looks like a sweet location for an eastbound and has the valley view E of E talks about.

The location has a windsock for what I assume is a heli pad, and looks like it was used as a small rock quarry.

And at MP 51\Tunnel 6 from Jan 1997. :rolleyes:

Ross, that #1 shot has to be on the overlook above East Martin where the double tender water tower used to be. Very Nice! The trees have really grown to obscure the valley over the decade. If you get another chance, there's an opening farther up that hillside that really opens up the valley view.
Keep 'em coming!:)

Question. Did they head back into Easton at day's end, and if so what time?
EOE, I don't know Stampede well - this was my 4th time rail fanning the pass so I don't know if its where the towers were or not, but when I upload the video I pan both east and west so I'm confident you'll know just where I was.

The train headed back east at about 5pm and I believe the crew was DOL at 7pm. Still lots of light at 5 which worked well for the Tunnel 4 shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin, this was west of tunnel 6 about a 1/2 mile east of the gate at Martin. We went down to tunnel 6, but the trees obscure too much of the shot for a westbound. It still looks like a sweet location for an eastbound and has the valley view E of E talks about.
Ross,

Nice shots. I envy you getting up there for this.

Not to be nit picky, but there is a little confusion, here. Tunnel 6 is a daylighted tunnel on the upper loop on the west side, as is Tunnel 5. I suspect Martin was referring to the still partially visible Tunnel 2 on the east side, down beside the huge tunnel 2 cut next to the big fill for the realignment back in the fifties. This would be somewhere near MP 44. Your shot was taken about MP 46.

Thanks for getting up there and taking these for the rest of us to enjoy.

John Van Amburg
Auburn, WA

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Oops, yeah tunnel 2 then. It's the same place we caught the test train in 2009 John! Thanks for the correction as I don't want to add any confusion.

Ok, that's about where the old signal bridge was...correct, Jon?

Martin Burwash
Martin, when I first got to Martin (WA) in 1993 there was no remnants of signaling near there that I can recall.

There are two Frederickson pictures in Wood's NP book showing signaling right in Martin next to the buildings. One is semaphores from before CTC and the other is a signal bridge from after CTC installation. Whether there was signaling out around the corner beyond the Meany Hut driveway where Ross' picture was taken I don't know.

There was a signal bridge at New Stampede in 1993 that wasn't removed until reopening in 1996. There is an earlier Frederickson picture showing semaphores over there, too.

John Van Amburg

Darn it, Jon, you're gonna have to make me try and find my mid 70's shots showing the bridge. I'm sure that's where Ross took that shot. Used to be a little bridge right there as well. They did a bunch of excavating around that area when they opened the line back up so it's a little more open than back in the day.

Martin Burwash

Amtrak special train status

Been listening for 8 hours now (6:12pm) and haven't heard a return from Lester, so don't know what's going on with the train(s). I'll be off-line for a couple of days, so hope others can post up!

How far east of Martin, down the hill, was it Martin? Seems like I've seen some old cement foundations around MP 46 there somewhere that could have been for signals.

The lower picture on page 42 of CASCADE DIVISION must be the bridge you are talking about. That looks pretty close to the spot of Ross' shot. That bridge was gone when I first visited there. Neat picture.

Photography by you and Jim F inspired me to explore Stampede in the first place.

Thanks.

John Van Amburg

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
That's it, Jon. Like I say, they cleared it out quite a bit witht he rebuild of the line. It's where we were that day I met you and Brian.

Martin Burwash
I believe this is where Ross shot the passenger train if not mistaken, right Martin and John? This is of course from that day the three of us got together 11-29-08. That was indeed a day I won't forget. Good times!
Brian

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
EOE, I don't know Stampede well - this was my 4th time rail fanning the pass so I don't know if its where the towers were or not, but when I upload the video I pan both east and west so I'm confident you'll know just where I was.

The train headed back east at about 5pm and I believe the crew was DOL at 7pm. Still lots of light at 5 which worked well for the Tunnel 4 shot.
If it was where the windsock was, that's exactly the location. The water tower stood just below your vantage point. At one time, believe it or not, there were four tracks there! If you can get a hold of this year's NPRHA calendar, the November photo is a color slide showing this location, 70 years prior, of two Z-3 helpers on the tail end of a tonnage freight.

There is one potential shot about a 1/4 mile east of Tunnel 2, but it requires a little limb work and a tree climb.:p

Just what I wanted to hear. That's perfect timing for a shot from the Milwaukee grade at MP 39.7. Silver train, good reflection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is where Ross shot the passenger train if not mistaken, right Martin and John? This is of course from that day the three of us got together 11-29-08. That was indeed a day I won't forget. Good times!
Brian
Right, Brian. I believe that is the spot. And that was a good day (can you believe late November, there?).

John

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Brian
Yes that's the spot!

If it was where the windsock was, that's exactly the location........
Yup and I had to photoshop that darn bright red thing out of one of my going away shots.

Also sorry to post a mouse trap Railpix link, but Nick Dumas posted one of his Tunnel 4 shots there and I thought you guys would like to see it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361240

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Ross, are the roads good enough for a 4x4 yet or is there still too much snow?
No the parking was at the Snow Park which is right after you cross the river. Won't take long to open that area up though, there was only about 2 feet of compact snow on the road.

OK hopefully you guys can stand some more pictures.

After a 4 hour and 15 minute wait Amtrak came charging up the 2.2% grade and was surprisingly quiet.

One locomotive, Amtrak 73 was on the rear and pushing.

The engineer in Amtrak 73 was real nice and when he saw us he gave a few friendly toot's on the horn and turned his lights on as they approached East Martin which was much appreciated as it gave the impression that we were catching the head end! It was also the only good light of the day.

On the westside of the pass they did a bunch of stop and go's in an area that wasn't real photogenic. We decided against riding along the tracks since we couldn't be sure where the train was and we didn't want to become a nuisance so we stayed high above tunnel 4.

The next time we would get good shots of the train was about 5:45 when they headed back to Easton. Here it is approaching the west portal of Tunnel 4.

Last shot as the end of the train passed into the tunnel.

I hope you enjoyed them, it took a lot of patience and hard work to get a few pictures of a single train, but I like the idea that only a handful people have done this and hope to do it more in the future.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.