Stackups on the BNSF Northwest Division

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

I've been listening to the Wenatchee radio feed today (3/1/11 - AM), and heard references that due to the hard Havre weather there were backups all across the Northern Tier. Seattle East just told a coal empties east he could go from Wenatchee to Adrian and then had to tie down and wait for a ride. "Great, thanks, I waited six hours last time for a ride." "Well, best of luck."

Then a westbound had to hold at Trinidad because there was an eastbound parked "down on the river" (I assume that meant either Albus or Malaga) and there was no room in Wenatchee yard for him just yet. Then another couple of trains that were having to sandwich by each other in the Yard because of all the trains in there. The Spud Local could only go into the siding at Quincy and had to sit there for several hours due to oncoming traffic.

Very busy radio traffic at Wenatchee Yard this morning.

So anyone on the BNSF in that region that can give us an update on just how congested things have become?

At 11:53am, Seattle East gives the Spud Local (2726) permission to move on from Quincy up to the airbase (wherever that is) and asks them to get out of the way ASAP as he has the coal empties coming up from the river that will tie down at Adrian.

Seattle East talks to the 720W at 12noon. "You're going to go in and out of the siding there, we got some busted ties on the main at Cashmere. You should be able to make Winton for one there, then up to Berne for another." "We'd rather wait at Merritt." "I've got a crew plowing snow there, over." "Then we'd rather wait at Winton." "OK, you'll stay at Winton for two." "OK, thanks!"

Last edited by a moderator:
i read on the altamont website that there were nine Z trains between whitefish and sandpoint last night.

on the other hand, the z-chcsse-2-27 that arrived into wenatchee this morning was basically on schedule.

but yeah i think that things are a bit clogged up.

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
Only if the Lind to Ellensburg connection was built and the Stampede tunnel was enlarged.:p:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if the Lind to Ellensburg connection was built and the Stampede tunnel was enlarged.:p:D
Well, with a grain elevator opening this fall in Longview, and possibly two coal facilities being built (Longview and Cherry Point), plus Amtrak wanting to run more north-south trains and intermodal growth... they're gonna have to do something!
Is the rumor of the Milwaukee Road's old Snoqualmie Pass line going to start up again? :rolleyes:

Well, with a grain elevator opening this fall in Longview, and possibly two coal facilities being built (Longview and Cherry Point), plus Amtrak wanting to run more north-south trains and intermodal growth... they're gonna have to do something!
Is the rumor of the Milwaukee Road's old Snoqualmie Pass line going to start up again? :rolleyes:
Ah gawd, here we go again! :-(

SDP45

Abandoned line seeker
"Air Base"

The "Air Base" spur the Spud local goes to is here at Ephrata. Its an old Army Air Force Base long ago decommissioned.

well, with a grain elevator opening this fall in longview, and possibly two coal facilities being built (longview and cherry point), plus amtrak wanting to run more north-south trains and intermodal growth... They're gonna have to do something!
Is the rumor of the milwaukee road's old snoqualmie pass line going to start up again? :rolleyes:
noooooooo!

Wake up, Washy!!! Look what we're talking about!!!!!

Martin Burwash
I see what they're talking about Martin, just watching as the BNSF grind to a hault.. And the best part, its going to get a lot worst in the next few months and then I can say, " see how short sided the BNSF is JUST to keep the UP from running on Stampede!!", till then I'm snickering to myself.

Washy.....three words "they" DON'T wanna hear..... "TOLD YOU SO!!!"....just like old times watching Wenatchee become a parking lot again...btw, it's about time for another mudslide north of Edmonds, isn't it??!!! lol

Stackup on Northwest Division

While Washy and Martin are trading barbs, I have not seen any responses answering the original question - what's the congestion question? I've seen on another list that there are two freights snowbound east of Browning, so can anyone give us a clear picture of what the overall conditions are?

We got a shippers bulliten a few days ago, and yes, the issues they talked about were in Montana, not Washington. Evidently drifting snow, especially east of Essex were specifically mentioned.

Martin Burwash

Here's a link to the BNSF service advisory. (SNOW!)

http://domino.bnsf.com/website/upda...onsumer/5ADD348874F7196F86257845005B929C?Open

There are two small photos as part of the link above. I enlarged one, and it is below. Of course its grainy, but clearly visible is a trackhoe on the right side of the tracks, plus a dozer on the left. There may also be two other pieces of equipment behind the trackhoe. It also appears that there is a train on the curve above the trackhoe.

Ed Sand

General Idiot
Early last year BNSF was forecasting that they'd be back up to capacity over Stevens by 2012 and that was the major chokepoint on the whole system. Service issues elsewhere willl tend to manifest themselves out here, as there isn't much recovery capacity here at all.

I'm honestly quite perplexed why they haven't pulled the trigger on Stampede

Stampede-Stevens Quandaries

Early last year BNSF was forecasting that they'd be back up to capacity over Stevens by 2012 and that was the major chokepoint on the whole system. Service issues elsewhere willl tend to manifest themselves out here, as there isn't much recovery capacity here at all.

I'm honestly quite perplexed why they haven't pulled the trigger on Stampede
Ya, I don't understand why they are running trains like coal empties over Stevens, which would fit through Stampede. Surely they could sort out their clearance plates and even up the traffic a bit more. Or, electrify Skykomish-Wenatchee again!! (Gawd, I get almost orgasmic with that thought).

Because there aren't any outside agencies that want to chip in yet?
Pretty soon it's going to be BNSF's problem, not anyone else's. BNSF can sit on not doing anything about Stampede and choke over Stevens and the Gorge, or they can deal with it all by their itty bitty selves. It's not like they're short of capital...

IF everything came together, the gorge has had all the track work done, Stampede has been fixed and is able to handle double stacks and there are no problems on Stevens, would this create another choke point? Spokane? Since all of the lines will end up there eventually.
Lynn

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com