Spammers Now Targeting Members Via Personal Messages (PM's)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Bill Anderson

Spammers are a real problem on this site. Moderators, administrators, and the owner work hard to eliminate their presence. However, spanners are always looking for new ways to thwart our efforts. For example, early this morning someone sent me a personal message (PM). I am 99.999 sure it was a spammer based on the following:
1) The weird early hour of the PM.
2) "She" had joined the site just a minute or two before sending me the PM.
3) She had sent PM's to over 30 other members immediately after joining . Note: I don't know if that info is available to all members or only to moderators.
4) The message was nothing more than "contact me at this link " (an e-mail address) or similar wording.

If you get a similar PM, I recommend against clicking on the link. If there is not a box at the bottom of the received message box to report it, then forward it to a moderator and we will try to ban the sender from this site.

Last edited:

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
I’m pretty sure only admins can see how many messages were sent. In any case, if it looks fishy, report it and don’t click on the link.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com