Sound Bites

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
Not really sure where to post this.

I know everyone here for the most part take pictures, but does anyone have any really good sound bites of trains under power, whistles, horns ect...

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
looking for a unit that is under heavy load, like a good grade with a whistle. maybe 15 to 30 seconds. Something to compare to my steam train clips would like to make them into a ring town for my Iphone if quality is good enough.

But like most kids I just like train horns, lol I have never really paid much attention to diesels locomotives in the past and just wanted to hear them in a under load situation. I sure they have their own signature sound like a steam train does, but i honestly have never been in an area to hear it.

audio files

I have TONS of audio. A couple of questions, though.

Do you want them in Mp3?
Do you have an audio editor so I can give you a large file?
If you need me to edit them down what size? under 1MB? under 500K?

I can put small files here otherwise I can load them to my web site for you to download.

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
Rick, I am not sure how to answer that. I have never did anything with audio. I don't have any after market audio programs just what ever came with windows vista. What ever you think best. and thank you

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
I'm on XP. In the accessories is Sound Recorder. I used it to open a couple files and trim them down to shorter (smaller) files.

audio editors

There are a number of audio editors. Sound recorder may have a 30 second restriction, unless they changed it.
A free one that is easy to learn is Audacity. Let me know if you need help.

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
I listened to the one you listed above, ad yes thats what I am looking for. Do you guys seperate audio capturing devices? I tried using the video camera but the sound is way over modulated. I am going to down load Audacity right now.

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
I used a Zoom H1 which is a small digital recorder. I've used it stand alone just to record sound but the literature shows people using the H1 & H2 to capture sound for video. The H1 will over modulate with horns nearby if the input level isn't turned down.

I have not pursued audio software yet.

Recorder

I have used various audio recorders over the last, well, many years.
For digital recorders, Marantz PMD 620 was my favorite, but it died. I am using a Olympus LS11 which has been rugged and sounds good. Still have to keep the record volume down to eliminate distortion.

The Sony D7 DAT with good external mikes worked well for a long time. The machine sucummed to age and I went to all digital. I'm on a low budget now, and am saving my pennies for the Marantz PMD661.

Video recorders just don't have the audio capabilites that I want. I want a manual volume, no limiter. I want it to sound as close to real as possible. If I have to boost the volume later through software, I'm OK with that.

Let me know if you want more. I have about 9 train sounds CDs that I used to sell on my website and would start up again if anyone was interested. It's all my stuff from the last 40 years.

A friend of mine has a ZOOM H2 and it makes some respectable recordings. Close horns have always been a problem. You need mikes with a high SPL to handle those. For enough money you can do anything.
Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you guys ever get all the sounds you needed? I still have a bunch to share. Cab rides, on board passenger trains Steam and diesel runbys. Tom

looking for a unit that is under heavy load, like a good grade with a whistle. maybe 15 to 30 seconds. Something to compare to my steam train clips would like to make them into a ring town for my Iphone if quality is good enough.

But like most kids I just like train horns, lol I have never really paid much attention to diesels locomotives in the past and just wanted to hear them in a under load situation. I sure they have their own signature sound like a steam train does, but i honestly have never been in an area to hear it.
Not sound files per se, but the best diesel sounds belong to EMD powered locos, and none better than the SD45 with 16 or 20cylinder 645 2 stroke motors, and nowhere better to view them or hear them in action than in Montana. Here's a 14 minute video with lots of grades and more horn tooting than I've heard in any other video. You're gon'na get'em coming, passing and going away with lots of doppler effects. Hope you enjoy

Here's another Montana video, this time on Mullan Pass with a mix of BNSF GE ES44AC and MRL EMD SD70ACe's in one of their 4 loco helper sets

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com