Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2018

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Another nice set of photos. What type of signals are those next to UP2674?

I always call them style V (which I'm sure is wrong, but that's what someone called them to me). They are color light signals that will fit where a searchlight use to be. There isn't enough clearance to put in a stacked color light when they retrofitted the signals.

A different view of the New Year's Day freight
24641409117_7b9eb97d73_b.jpg
Pulling out of Holt by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Watching the California Northern reminds me of model railroad switching problems, the way they run around sidings and set up cars for opposing meets
The northbound train from the fog picture above dropped its cars on the main, then sped north to pickup this single box car, ran back south around the others cars then connected to the previous cars on the opposite end, all before the southbound arrived at the siding

38854964905_154c22a285_b.jpg
Monday Morning Pickup by lennycarl08, on Flickr

28049385189_f4a1bb0f90_b.jpg
Heading South by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.

Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.

I do what I can :) I shoot trains in the rain, I just don't get out of the car!

Rules are made to be broken.

Scarlet and Gray

...is an awesome photograph. You could start a thread something like, "From the Wrong Side of the Tracks."

The railfan who got me started on rail photography--such that it is--was constantly scoffing at photographs taken from the wrong side of the train.

Obviously he was wrong.

Got any more?

Art

...is an awesome photograph. You could start a thread something like, "From the Wrong Side of the Tracks."

The railfan who got me started on rail photography--such that it is--was constantly scoffing at photographs taken from the wrong side of the train.

Obviously he was wrong.

Got any more?

Art

I have hundreds of shots from the "wrong" side :) I would love to have all my shots in perfect light, but the silly people who designed the railroads don't understand this! Some of the spots I frequent are just not aligned to ever be in good light with a good field of view, so I wouldn't get anything if applied that criteria. If you click on any of my photos here you will got to my Flickr page, where you can select the "trains" album and peruse shots going back almost 10 years now.

Finally caught the Cabbage Car in the lead!

To the great uninitiated--specifically, me--that thing ghosting along with no engine sound would be a little spooky. Like the "Steam Locomotive" I saw on a tourist RR once. I was standing by the track expecting the warm radiated heat coming off the boiler as it passed. Instead I got the thrum of a 45-tonner disguised as the tender. Messed with my mind.

These guys got stuck just outside Richmond yard waiting for a mechanical issues to be fixed on an outgoing freight before they could go the final half mile of their trip. They had just dropped off the UPS load at North Bay.
39431527984_107fa1d169_b.jpg
No Room at the Inn by lennycarl08, on Flickr

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back