Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2017

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

New camera for trains. Sony RX10M4 with a range of 24-600mm. It also has a crazy accurate autofocus and can blaze away at 24fps, which I don't really need for trains, but it works really well for birds.
38173192242_f3173a8e0c_b.jpg
Rollin... by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Is the railroad seasonal or do you only head that way during bird season?

I'm usually only up that way during the migration period, visiting the National Wildlife Refuges in the Sacramento Valley. The CFNR runs trains Monday, Wednesday and Friday with extras as needed all year long along the old SP West Valley (Old California Hwy 99W, now Interstate 5) line between Davis and Tehema, servicing the nut, rice and other ag businesses along the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
New camera for trains. Sony RX10M4 with a range of 24-600mm. It also has a crazy accurate autofocus and can blaze away at 24fps, which I don't really need for trains, but it works really well for birds.

I'll have to check out your bird photos taken with your new Sony.

I'll have to check out your bird photos taken with your new Sony.

Only have a few so far. Of course a 1" sensor is not going to compete with a full frame, but the convenience of a small light camera versus pounds of gear has advantages some times. The focus really locks on though, as you can see with the duck shot in the rain below. Colusa NWR right along the CFNR line.

38174865096_9cd2f4e3f5_b.jpg
CFNR 505 at Williams by lennycarl08, on Flickr

38174849576_b5b8bf67aa_b.jpg
Pintails in the Rain by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Thanks Brad! Just got back from a few days up in the Klamath Basin. It wasn't a railfanning trip, but I managed to sneak one in as this mixed freight rumbled by just as I was pulling onto the highway from a rest area. It looks like noise in the photo, but it was raining pretty steadily. This line is the old SP line between Dunsmuir and Klamath Falls
38316397402_6f88af5097_b.jpg
Oregon Bound by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Nice. What are the tracks in the foreground?

The tracks in the foreground are the old Southern Pacific Mococo line that ran from Port Costa to Tracy and the even older Sacramento Northern. The San Joaquin Daylight used to run right by here, and the SN used to have a ferry that docked a few miles to the east ( photo right) for crossing the Suisun Bay between West Pittsburg (no H on the California city) and Chips Island. Today the UP runs locals as far as Antioch out of Ozal yard in Martinez on the middle track. The Santa Fe San Francisco Chief used to run on the BNSF mainline that the vehicle train is on.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back