Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2017

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Nice! I really like that one!

Agree, very nicely done!

Thanks guys! It was a case of right place right time. I was heading home from a wildlife refuge and had 4 cameras on the front seat when I spotted the ditch lights in the distance. Just a demonstration here, the difference between 220mm on a crop camera (7D2 above) and a full frame at 32mm (5D3 below). Taken from the exact same spot a few seconds apart. I like the different effects equally.
32012529531_001b5d5f1e_b.jpg
South onSanta Fe Avenue by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Thanks guys! It was a case of right place right time. I was heading home from a wildlife refuge and had 4 cameras on the front seat when I spotted the ditch lights in the distance. Just a demonstration here, the difference between 220mm on a crop camera (7D2 above) and a full frame at 32mm (5D3 below). Taken from the exact same spot a few seconds apart. I like the different effects equally.

You can never have too many cameras with you. Otherwise, you never get quite the right camera + lens combo for grab shots.

We are finally having a wet year here in northern California, which is great for everything but photography! I love the light I can get in cloudy weather, but when it is really coming down, it becomes challenging. Franklin Canyon will be bright green soon.
32053969891_f4a6c64d94_b.jpg
Getting Wet by lennycarl08, on Flickr

You folks in NorCal are getting slammed by big storms and overflowing rivers. I imagine rotary plows and washed out rail lines will soon be in the news.

Has there been any news of the rotary plows in action yet?

Actually, the latest storm, while very wet, was also very warm, due to it be channeled from Hawaii via the "Pineapple Express" created by to pressure ridges. They got a bunch of snow over the weekend that immediately began melting and running off due to rain at high elevations. No rotaries yet.

Actually, the latest storm, while very wet, was also very warm, due to it be channeled from Hawaii via the "Pineapple Express" created by to pressure ridges. They got a bunch of snow over the weekend that immediately began melting and running off due to rain at high elevations. No rotaries yet.

Wonder if this will get them out:
C10ZcA-UoAIySN2.jpg

I have heard that MP 1 on the old SP Cal P was somewhere in the bay, as the original MP O for the SP was at the 3rd and Townsend HQ in San Francisco, and of course they used to ferry the trains across the bay to Oakland. I have no idea if UP realigned anything when they took over, but Hercules, where this shot was taken, is about 17 miles from Oakland, the train's final stop (Emeryville really),so it could be true.
32522936112_f97624466c_b.jpg
California Zephyr at Mile Post 21 by lennycarl08, on Flickr

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back