Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2011

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Itsed65

I was hanging out in Emeryville after work this last Thursday and caught some guest help from the Midwest at the lead of a UP "dirty dirt" train. Cool seeing some different power in these parts. It had been raining for most of the afternoon, but luckily for me (and my camera), it stopped in time to grab these shots.

Heading slowly from Oakland to hold at a signal just east of the Emeryville Amtrak depot to hold for passenger traffic
5520562861_d8d688300a_b.jpg

5521154104_e8e958d654_b.jpg

Looking toward Berkeley from Emeryville
5520563279_a912bf8915_b.jpg

Amtrak California with the green, pushing its way toward its next stop in Berkeley
5521154290_ccb4ab1a32_b.jpg

Close up of the big GE
5520563465_9f9da099da_b.jpg

Holding at Emeryville
5520563589_e6bb902505_b.jpg

NM_RailNut

Looks like KCS was paying off horsepower hours owed to UP; those units usually don't show up on other roads unless they're running through on certain trains. It do break up the monotony, though.

Abilene Ks Railfan

Looks like KCS was paying off horsepower hours owed to UP; those units usually don't show up on other roads unless they're running through on certain trains. It do break up the monotony, though.

Great pics!

I've not seen any KCS power lately,but I have seen a few FXE, and NS units on UP trains out my way

Itsed65

A few close ups...

I'm almost emabarrased to post this one. This is one of the first shots I took two years ago with my (then) brand new 40D and kit lens (EF-S18-55mm). Not having used a digital SLR before, I didn't know what I was doing, , and if I could do it again I am sure my shots of this beauty would be a lot better. I used one of the automated modes, and most of my shots were total garbage. But I digress..., on April 23, 2009, UP 844 came roaring through Pinole.
3470010930_6a05802b41_z.jpg

Ex Cotton Belt GP40-2 near Martinez
4327260034_c158df7422_b.jpg

Amtrak California F-59PHII in Hercules. The blue towers in the backround are a drawbridge over the straight entering the old Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo California. There is abandoned track all over the place out there. If anyone watches "Mythbusters" they film stuff in the drydocks out there frequently.
4842194119_cdba908b7f_b.jpg

Another F-59 sitting cold at the Sacramento depot. In the background you can see the decaying unused Southern Pacific shops. The California Railroad Museum is a few hundred yards away from here and really is a must see if you are ever in the area.
4335852927_405abf9e14_b.jpg

Street running in Jack London Square, an SD70 leads a stack train down the street while I eat lunch at an outdoor Mexican restaraunt.
4672774311_098a57df54_b.jpg

Since I plugged the California State Railroad Musem: SP AC-12 class cab forward. You have to see this is person to appreciate its size.
5049059152_d1fc241c8e_b.jpg

Itsed65

Cool shots! Would be cool to see a cab forward operating again!

Yes it sure would, especially climbing through the snow sheds on Donner! This is a "picture of a picture" of just that from the museum
5049060768_4c47cb0b62_b.jpg

It has been pouring rain here in the bay area, but I still took a couple today while out and about. Caught some on the spot maintenance going on from a hardware store parking lot today. A pair of California Northern NRE 3GS21B-DE getting some attention in Davis California. It was hard keeping the lens dry getting these.
5541382472_495b912d54_b.jpg

5541382574_c7da98e213_b.jpg

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
I'm not sure why I haven't commented on this thread yet, but you have some outstanding photos here. You've got a great eye and you seem to keep a nice mix of angles. Looking forward to more!

Itsed65

I'm not sure why I haven't commented on this thread yet, but you have some outstanding photos here. You've got a great eye and you seem to keep a nice mix of angles. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! With better weather and longer daylight hours coming, I hope to get out a lot this coming Spring. :D

Itsed65

Yet another rainy day today, and not much happened while I was parked at one of my ususal spots on the water in Hercules. I did catch the weekend lite power move which interestingly had an ex SP MP15DC switcher in the consist. These were taken at pretty much maximum zoom while raining with my Sigma "Bigmos" 150-500mm lens so the quality is not the best, but I'm still pretty happy with the results.

5544927708_c44760c011_b.jpg

I wouldn't mind knowing someone with a backyard by the tracks like that, although I don't know if I would want to live there.
5544927954_18d43e2887_b.jpg

I actually shoot from along the black fence in this photo when it is dry, but there is no way I would take my chair into that grass in the rain!
5544928104_4038c9dc9b_b.jpg

Itsed65

Still pretty ugly weather this week in Northern California, so no really good photo ops. Here are a few from last month when it was a bit more dry.

BNSF genset NRE 3GS21B switching at the new Honda auto loading facility at Pt Richmond CA
5469529465_a657bb499c_b.jpg

Low wide angle of Capital Corridor at Pinole CA
5540801583_de93564304_b.jpg

Zephyr coming at the same spot in Pinole
5540801733_d0d9fb3b93_b.jpg

Zephry going...only a few more miles til the last stop at Emeryville
5540801835_2b93d670a4_b.jpg

While waiting for some trains to come by I was taking some pictures of my car, and of course, the second I get set up, along comes a train....
5480808698_340a8fb29c_b.jpg

Itsed65

Did you ever have one of those days, that no matter how, when you found the perfect spot for a westbound train, 4 eastbounds would come by instead? Or if you are on one side of the tracks everything will come by on the other? This is a collection of trains shot from either the wrong angle, wrong side of the tracks, going instead of coming, or right into the sun, etc. :rolleyes:

Empty stack train through Pinole CA taken right into the strong afternoon sun. Had it been westbound, the sky would be a pretty blue full of puffy clouds.
5575230755_ac7d8ea73d_b.jpg

Operation Lifesaver loco shot from the wrong side of the tracks...
5566131738_b2c4dacb5b_b.jpg

I got this light power move group going instead of coming. I tried to beat them from Emeryville to Pinole and if I had arrived 2 mintues earlier I could have made it over the grade crossing and set up and it would have been perfect!
5565553113_8b1f217d3a_b.jpg

This one, the station platform lights are in the way
5566236918_128a83ec3f_b.jpg

I almost made it for this one, it is still too close and heavily cropped to get a reasonable shot. It was originally taken in portrait thorugh a fence. Had I 60 more seconds I could have got a much better wide angle of the whole train. This is an auto stack going through Emervyville from the port of Benicia. This same group of locos plus one more returned light to Martinez later in the afternoon.
5566420249_bca4f9d149_b.jpg

Itsed65

Nice pics!

Thanks!

Spring finally sprung this weekend in Northern California, and it was a great opportunity to take the camera out and about around the east bay area.

I caught this one on my way to another location, and the wierd quality is becuase I shot it through my dirty windshield while wating at the crossing. Notice the California Poppies (they are wildflowers), the state flower, blooming in the median as the Richmond Pacifc drags a large string of empty hoppers to the UP interchange track for pickup.
5583857919_0e4a393df3_b.jpg

A short sting of autoracks being pulled by a single GE, with a DPU on the backend through Emeryville
5583858377_52bb7b85d7_b.jpg

Another GE bringing up the rear
5583858473_c724bf6216_b.jpg

Empty statck train ripping through Martinez
5584448026_3728d6a762_b.jpg

Meanwhile, on the OTHER railroad in my area, a set of four running light through Franklin canyon. I am thinknig about cropping this one for a different compistion, but for now...
5584448602_aba904baa6_b.jpg

The grass is actually this green, I have not touched the saturation. It will be like this for another month or so before turning brown (or golden, as we say in the golden state).
5584448656_7d82b3c7e7_b.jpg

Four locomotives, three different paint schemes.
5584448856_43f7dedc2c_b.jpg

thanks for viewing

jkinzel

Again, another stellar group of photos. The BNSF photos are actually spirit lifting with the green fields and filtered sun. We had a little sun on Saturday along with strong winds, Sunday no wind, no sun and no rain, yet, it comes in tonight for three more days.:( Not complaining, just a little short on vitamin "D". :rolleyes:

Itsed65

Again, another stellar group of photos. The BNSF photos are actually spirit lifting with the green fields and filtered sun. We had a little sun on Saturday along with strong winds, Sunday no wind, no sun and no rain, yet, it comes in tonight for three more days.:( Not complaining, just a little short on vitamin "D". :rolleyes:

Thank you very much. Yeah it was a great Saturday, and the weather even seemed to get better on Sunday as we hit 80 degrees. I have a bunch more photos to go through and post process that I will hopefully get to this week, including a pair of BNSF geeps; one each in warbonnet/blue and yellow. I finally found a decent spot to steak out the BNSF mainline. :cool:

We do have more rain in the forecast though :rolleyes:

jkinzel

I keep telling my wife that maybe we shouldn't complain about the rain so much because by July this place, Western Washington, could be a tinder box. The weather has a way of balancing it's self out, even it is with extreme swings in seasons. All I really want is a few nice days at the tracks.:D

Bill Anderson

Thanks for the photos of Franklin Canyon. A friend of mine pointed out that we haven't had a sunny day up here since 2/28, where "sunny day" is defined by the weather folks as a day where the sun is out for at least 70% of the daylight hours.

pilpro

Great shots! I live in the area (El Cerrito) and I never have time to get some quality track side time in. Thank you!

Paul Z.

nman281

RRF Helper
You've got a quite a nice selection of shots right here! I love the angles, composition, framing and the colors. Hope to see more from you.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)