Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

It looks like the "Bloody Nose" era will soon come to an end. I was surprised to find a GP7/9 still in Black Widow when I moved to Sacramento in October of 1973.

Another nice set of photos. What type of signals are those next to UP2674?
Thanks Brad. I'm no expert on signals, so I don't know if these are leftover from the SP Cal-P line days or if they are UP originals. There have not been the SP searchlights around here for a long time, but these 3 light type are present up and down the UP line. Over on the BNSF, they have mostly gone to the newer PTC type signals.

roee

Another nice set of photos. What type of signals are those next to UP2674?
I always call them style V (which I'm sure is wrong, but that's what someone called them to me). They are color light signals that will fit where a searchlight use to be. There isn't enough clearance to put in a stacked color light when they retrofitted the signals.

A different view of the New Year's Day freight

Pulling out of Holt by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Watching the California Northern reminds me of model railroad switching problems, the way they run around sidings and set up cars for opposing meets
The northbound train from the fog picture above dropped its cars on the main, then sped north to pickup this single box car, ran back south around the others cars then connected to the previous cars on the opposite end, all before the southbound arrived at the siding

Monday Morning Pickup by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Heading South by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.

Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.
I do what I can :) I shoot trains in the rain, I just don't get out of the car!

Rules are made to be broken.

...is an awesome photograph. You could start a thread something like, "From the Wrong Side of the Tracks."

The railfan who got me started on rail photography--such that it is--was constantly scoffing at photographs taken from the wrong side of the train.

Obviously he was wrong.

Got any more?

Art

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com