Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bill Anderson

You folks in NorCal are getting slammed by big storms and overflowing rivers. I imagine rotary plows and washed out rail lines will soon be in the news.

Has there been any news of the rotary plows in action yet?
Actually, the latest storm, while very wet, was also very warm, due to it be channeled from Hawaii via the "Pineapple Express" created by to pressure ridges. They got a bunch of snow over the weekend that immediately began melting and running off due to rain at high elevations. No rotaries yet.

Actually, the latest storm, while very wet, was also very warm, due to it be channeled from Hawaii via the "Pineapple Express" created by to pressure ridges. They got a bunch of snow over the weekend that immediately began melting and running off due to rain at high elevations. No rotaries yet.
Wonder if this will get them out:

I have heard that MP 1 on the old SP Cal P was somewhere in the bay, as the original MP O for the SP was at the 3rd and Townsend HQ in San Francisco, and of course they used to ferry the trains across the bay to Oakland. I have no idea if UP realigned anything when they took over, but Hercules, where this shot was taken, is about 17 miles from Oakland, the train's final stop (Emeryville really),so it could be true.

California Zephyr at Mile Post 21 by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Bill Anderson

I was starting to wonder how you are doing with all the rain down there. When I lived in Sacramento in the early 80's a levee in the San Joaquin-Sacramento Delta collapsed while a Santa Fe freight was traveling on it. Locos and some cars went into the water.

This is what ISO 1600 used to look like on my old 40D without shooting in the pouring rain. Alas, this is not camera noise but rain, and lots of it. I usually head up to the Sacramento NWR to shoot birds on the holiday, but I-5 and the town of Maxwell are flooded and all the areas are closed due to flooding as well, so I stuck around home, but just couldn't sit inside all day. I'm not crazy though, this was shot out the passenger window of my truck from the drivers seat, allowing me and the camera to stay nice and dry. Trains were rolling on slow orders due to flash flood warnings

Rolling Through the Storm by lennycarl08, on Flickr

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com