Some Old Slides Rerun

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

N&W(Wabash) is now a bike trail. Highest point on the Wabash is at Dumfries, SW of Council Bluffs.

Attachments

We had a decent variety of Rock stuff. Looking at videos on you tube i wish I would gone farther south to photo. But you can't do everything

Attachments

Bill Anderson

What is the back story on the 4449 caboose hop through Greenwood, NE?
4449 was removed from Oaks Park in Portland, OR and restored in the old Hoyt St. roundhouse in Portland. After restoration and test runs on the former SP&S tracks along the Columbia River east from Vancouver, WA, it was run down to Roseville, Ca. via caboose hop. I was living in Sacramento at the time and got photos.

From Roseville it was run east on the old SP-UP Overland Route to join the Freedom Train somewhere in the Midwest. If I recall correctly, it could not be used to pull the Freedom Train on the East Coast due to tunnel clearances. The slides are probably from that run to join the Freedom Train.

You are correct Bill. They were running it east to meet up with the Freedom Train. It came back through the next year or 2 and spent some time in Omaha getting the drivers turned. They actually did it by assembling some kind of setup to cut the tires while they were on the locomotive. They drug the loco back and forth and cut off what they needed.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com