Some of the Guys

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Nice photographs Martin - love this aspect of railroading. These days it's hard to gain access for these more intimate portraits. Your relationship with MRL folks certainly has paid benefits. Here are a few that I've taken over the years:

1. The Boeing Job crew passing signals at Mukilteo.

2. My good friend Dan Olah ( now retired ) at Interbay ( permission to be on the property).

3. Old school track alignment at Goldbar.

4. Track crew at Stratton Colorado.

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
So what was the gist of the Hawks conversation in #3 Martin? Nothing positive I assume.:p

Jon, that track crew photo at Stratton is sweet! The shovels, sunrise (or sunset?) and the dog make the shot.

Beautiful stuff guys! Unfortunately its becoming harder to get shots like those unless you have contacts/friends in the field. Too bad that a lot of the human aspect of railroading is now hidden behind tinted windows.

So what was the gist of the Hawks conversation in #3 Martin? Nothing positive I assume.:p

Jon, that track crew photo at Stratton is sweet! The shovels, sunrise (or sunset?) and the dog make the shot.
Thanks - it was taken at sunset. I was driving from Cincinnati to my new job in Seattle during the first week of January 1984.:D

I've always tried to incorporate people into my photos whenever the opportunity presents itself. These days it's gotten a lot harder to accomplish. There's also the issue of 'rails' being sensitive about having their photos taken. I try to be careful and not photograph anyone doing anything that would get them in trouble. Over the years I have seen some crazy things.:rolleyes:

Here are a few more:

1. The rear brakeman on this New Westminster bound train locks up the interlocking 'tower' at Clayburn ( crossing with the CP branch to Huntingdon BC ) and prepares to board the caboose.

2. BNSF welders execute a thermite weld at Mukilteo.

3. Switching at Grangeville ID on Camas Prairie Railnet.

4. UP steam crew members lube the running gear on UP 844.

JB Tanton takes time out for me to snap his photo a couple of months ago. I have several more, some of which are in past threads here of railroadforums.com

A few more:

1. How many MOW guys does it take to ( fill in the blank ).

2. How many RR employees does it take to wash a Budd RDC? Columbus Union Station 1969.

3. UP steam crew members - Portland.

4. PC passenger train - Wooster Ohio 1969.

RS-1

Photographer
After picking up a gondola of scrap from the former Kaiser Aluminum Mead Works plant and a couple of hoppers from Global Harvest Foods, the crew of the "Mead Turn" local line the switch for the mainline back into Spokane, WA.
View attachment 110434

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.