Smoking East '03-'16 - 21: Goodbye from Chernivtsi (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Grandfatherly East '03-'16 - 20: Arrested in Chernivtsi (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...st-03-16-20-arrested-in-chernivtsi-50-p.13135

April 17 2003

In the previous report I had been arrested by the station police for the first and until now only time. As mentioned, the officers were not very keen on this. I pointed at the cell phone to make a call for somebody with better knowledge of the language. In the meantime, they were up for jokes, I almost would have gotten served some horilka (Ukrainian version of vodka). After a few minutes, my father arrived, as former university teacher he can speak Russian like his native tongue. After a short, friendly talk I was cautioned: even if the mood had been nice, they always had to be one the lookout for international terrorism (the 2nd Iraq war was only a few weeks old back then, and Ukraine a part of the "coalition of the willing"). Then my father and I drove back to our restaurant "Utah" where I was greeted by an ecstatic family just sitting down for dinner.

At noon the same day, we already had visited the station once. Luckily, my mugshot did not end up on the wall next to the former local timetable... ;-)
ost162101.jpg

The main hall with express timetables.
ost162102.jpg

Plenty of freight cars in the yard.
ost162103.jpg

ost162104.jpg

Passenger cars to Kiev to the left, but no moving trains.
ost162105.jpg

Alright, I will be careful once the next Shinkansen arrives! :0)
ost162106.jpg

Train to Uzhhorod.
ost162107.jpg

You can spot some slight smoke to the left.
ost162108.jpg

ost162109.jpg

At least one switching movement thanks to lineside maintenance.
ost162110.jpg

ost162111.jpg

Someone had the right idea...
ost162112.jpg

And then something actually happened: a 2M62 smoked out the station with a freight train towards the Romanian border!
It was one of those pictures where you think: had I only been at the right spot at the right time, something you will probably never get a chance to capture again.
ost162113.jpg

From the station you can climb a hill through a park, on the way:
ost162114.jpg

Definitely people with a positive attitude towards life around.
ost162115.jpg

Ah - students! We have arrived in front of the Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University.
ost162116.jpg

The complex had been erected 1864 - 1882 by Czech architect Josef Hlávka and originally served as the residence of the Orthodox metropolitan of Bukovina and Dalmatia. The university had been founded in 1875 as "Franz-Josephs-Universität", later during Romanian times "Universitatea Regele Carol I din Cernăuți", and in the Soviet Union "Chernivtsi State University". In 1955 this compound was occupied by the university, in 2011 it was declared UNESCO world heritage site.
ost162117.jpg

ost162118.jpg

Comparison: April 17 2003 to the left, August 2 2016 to the right.
ost162119.jpg

A Skoda 9Tr trolleybus was operating in regular 2003 traffic on University Street. Cheap "kseroksing" next door.
ost162120.jpg

Trolleybuses in 2016.
ost162121.jpg

ost162122.jpg

The urban dental clinic to the right.
ost162123.jpg

ost162124.jpg

In 2016, street vendors still were around, but in contrast to 2003 you could also find shops on every corner. Consequences of the Ukrainian crisis can be spotted on second glance.
ost162125.jpg

You could undertake a whole photo trip just for pictures of balconies in Chernivtsi.
ost162126.jpg

Former Herrengasse is the central pedestrian zone, nowadays Olha-Kobylanska-Street.
ost162127.jpg

By pure coincidence Anne and Thomas had chosen the same hotel on the same day as me. So, we went out to dinner on Olha-Kobylanska-Street in the evening. Once more, Anne had bad luck as she always received her meals much later than the rest of the group. As it is tradition in the former Eastern Bloc states, all meals were listed with exact grams of ingredients. First problem was, you could not take anything away from one meal, just add something to another. The waiter spoke decent English, so we thought the communication had gone well. Then, another waiter turned up, serving a completely inverse meal just including all the unwanted ingredients. It took a while until the original waited had been found and the misunderstanding was cleared up.
ost162128.jpg

In 2003, people waited nicely dressed in front of the Cinema Palace.
ost162129.jpg

Cable service is here!
ost162130.jpg

ost162131.jpg

Ukrainian-Orthodox Saint Nikolay Cathedral, also known as "drunk church".
ost162132.jpg

Assumption Cathedral.
ost162133.jpg

ost162134.jpg

The compound of wooden Saint Nikolay Church right next to the cathedral. It had been built in 1748 still during the Ottoman period, the oldest Orthodox church in town.
ost162136.jpg

Firefighting equipment could be found next to every wooden structure.
ost162135.jpg

Mass inside Catholic Exaltation Church.
ost162137.jpg

ost162138.jpg

In the afternoon of April 17 2003 we drove to the Jewish cemetery, one of the largest in Europe - we will visit another one soon during this series.
ost162139.jpg

By chance, we met a relative of Rosa Roth-Zuckermann deceased in 2002. She became known through the Volker Koepp documentary "Herr Zwilling und Frau Zuckermann" from 1999.
ost162140.jpg

The history of the Jewish population in Chernivtsi (in German, please use browser translate function): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschichte_der_Juden_in_Czernowitz
ost162141.jpg

ost162142.jpg

ost162143.jpg

From the cemetery you could overlook the industrial quarter of the city, the engine depot in the background.
ost162144.jpg

August 3 2016

I was about to continue to Romania next morning. With full luggage I walked downhill, purchased a ticket to Vadul Siret in the local traffic part of the station and sat down next to other waiting passengers.
Wait a minute... something let me run uphill with the heavy backpack to the bridge of Prut Street... In the meantime, M62-1473 approached from the depot to the left, the track to the right leads to the Romanian border.
ost162145.jpg

What else was waiting in the yard?
ost162146.jpg

Five minutes later, the freight train departed to Vadul Siret! 4x power by two 2M62 double units... I erased the power lines near the bridge for the tele shots.
ost162147.jpg

A rolled up yellow flag was shown, the M62 switching in the background.
ost162148.jpg

Wide angle version, then I quickly changed to video mode to capture some of the sound:
ost162149.jpg

Later, I took train 959 to Vadul Siret. A 2TE10M just had arrived on the neighboring track.
ost162150.jpg

Next, we will travel to another destination in that region before both reports are going to be joined... :)

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back