Slide collection ground zero!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Well you all are looking at the spot I will be spending most of my free time all winter! I have just purchased two estate railroad slide collections. The first on was rather small, about 6700 slides. Most are filed and well organized. The secone collection is a whopper! 110,000 slides! Yep, and for the most part, they too are well sorted and organized. However, there are about 33,000 slides nicely stored in flats waiting for me to sort thru. Holy cow! There is just about anything in these loose slides. From 50's steam red/grey Kodachromes right up to modern Fujifilm ACC's. I do have my work cut out for me! All those storage boxes in back, that's just part of this collection.

That is really amazing. You have a lot of money sitting there. Years ago I bought about 30 or so slides related to West side lumber when they were running steam locomotives. I was getting sometimes as much as $110.00 for a single slide. Any slides with old steam bring in good money.

I love it. It's is a totally new aspect of collecting for me. One year ago I knew nothing about slides. I am learning as I go. My goal is to have a world class Union Pacific slide collection. I am well on my way. I had all intents of keeping the UP stuff and selling off the rest, now I'm not so sure. This collection is so well put together and covers so many different aspects of railroading that it's gonna be hard to sell off. Maybe I just keep them all, much to my wife's dismay. She's starting to see though how much I enjoy this stuff. She knows I was dissapointed when I sold off the excess (non UP) stuff from the first collection, and that was 22,000 slides right there. I suppose I'm sitting on close to 135,000 slides right now, and have just located another large collection out west of over 40,000 slides. God help me!!!

You can take my suggestion for what it's worth... Why not sell the slides you either don't want, or that are outside your area of interest, and use the proceeds to fund further slide collection purchases? You probably won't get rich, but it will help offset the cash outlay.

You can take my suggestion for what it's worth... Why not sell the slides you either don't want, or that are outside your area of interest, and use the proceeds to fund further slide collection purchases? You probably won't get rich, but it will help offset the cash outlay.
While the point you make is the most logical one, I think it may be in the best interest to keep this large collection intact. I feel it would be a shame to break it up, and it may hurt the value of the collection in the long run.

While the family was happy to sell the collection, and did not seem to mind that some of it would be sold off, I still am having issues with breaking it up. Maybe some imput would help with my final actions.

Well the profit will surely be there as I have some idea what I could expect some of the better stuff to bring. For sure the older stuff will command the better prices. Maybe I should look into doing some trading wil the local collectors around here, there seems to be plenty of UP around here. Choices.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
if the collections were from a notable photographer or were somehow related each other somehow (other than shot by the same guy), the value is more likely higher sold separately or in groupings. Determining what groupings might have value could be a big task. Grouplings are like an engine series, a particular train/route or others could have significant value over just individual shots. Until you catalog them all you really won't know what is possible. Good luck and keep us posted.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.