Sicily 2016 - 6: Good Friday in Cefalù (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Sicily 2016 - 5: Around Mt. Etna II (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?52802-Sicily-2016-5-Around-Mt-Etna-II-(50-p-)

To the video:
https://youtu.be/L8L4FAom1hI

As special fitting this week, let's change from the Lone Ranger to the Godfather...
We return to Sicily for the second half of last year's trip. On Good Friday we travelled from Giardini-Naxos on the eastern coast to the northern coast, changing at Messina Centrale.

March 25 2016

The station is one of the most run-down I have ever visited in Western Europe. The interesting operations - loading ferries - will be documented later, on my final evening in Sicily.
siz160602.jpg

"OK, I'll take the bag..."
siz160601.jpg

The first 35 miles of the line towards Palermo have been modernized - after crossing 7.5-mile tunnel Peloritana we reached the northern coast.
siz160603.jpg

Past...
siz160604.jpg

After an hour, at Gioiosa Marea, our R 12785 Messina - Palermo met R 12758 Palermo - Messina on the now single track line.
siz160605.jpg

siz160606.jpg

Both trains departed simultaneously. Off the coast you can see Vulcano, part of the Aeolian Islands.
siz160607.jpg

siz160608.jpg

This interesting fishing "port" is passed at Santo Stefano Di Camastra.
siz160609.jpg

Interesting coastal section around Tusa.
siz160610.jpg

Punctually after three o'clock we arrived at our base for the coming days: Cefalù.
RV 3840 Palermo - Messina approaching platform 1.
siz160611.jpg

I still waited shortly at the station...
siz160612.jpg

... as this far down the Italian boot, sleeper trains sometimes arrive in the afternoon. Intercity Notte 1965 Milano - Palermo emerged from below the 885 feet high Rocca of Cefalù on time. After almost 20 hours of travel it still had one more to go to its destination.
siz160613.jpg

Express trains on Sicily still were pulled by "Caimano" class E656, its last regular passenger duties.
siz160614.jpg

siz160615.jpg

I walked through the old town centre to our booked palazzo - despite the tourist boom, this albergo seems to have run out of business.
siz160616.jpg

Good Friday afternoon chat in the sun...
siz160617.jpg

Our street - balcony photography extreme!
siz160618.jpg

From 19th century to the Normans - balcony photography advanced.
siz160619.jpg

siz160620.jpg

In awe of...
siz160623.jpg

... the cathedral, started in 1131 by Norman king Roger II. During the centuries, parts had been added, nowadays it has become a UNESCO world heritage site.
More about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cefalù_Cathedral
siz160621.jpg

Apsidal mosaics from 1148.
siz160622.jpg

Wonderful view, Alcudi Island is 35 miles away.
siz160624.jpg

Balcony photography with the medieval flag of Sicily.
siz160625.jpg

siz160626.jpg

iPhone-Panorama viewed from the quay.
siz160627.jpg

siz160628.jpg

siz160629.jpg

"Guiseppe, would you like some ice cream?" - "Mamma mia, it's way too cold!"
(let's explore all clichés ;-))
siz160630.jpg

"I'll take the medium... dolphin?"
siz160631.jpg

siz160632.jpg

siz160633.jpg

siz160634.jpg

siz160635.jpg

siz160636.jpg

siz160637.jpg

siz160638.jpg

As we were told by our landlady, a Good Friday procession was planned that evening.
A mood of expectation could be felt on cathedral square, people waited seemingly prepared for - in Sicily - Arctic temperatures.
siz160639.jpg

A priest checked out the square, then the procession started. Two large items of worship were carried around by groups of men, one symbolizing the grave of Jesus, the other the mourning Mary. Nowadays this is more of an event, decades ago the saddest day for Christianity had been much more serious business in Italy.
siz160640.jpg

For me it was opportunity to capture some character faces.
siz160641.jpg

siz160642.jpg

siz160643.jpg

This was the star of the procession for me.
siz160644.jpg

siz160645.jpg

siz160646.jpg

siz160647.jpg

siz160648.jpg

The political leadership could easily have emerged from a movie.
siz160649.jpg

We returned to our accommodation, but the procession still was heard for hours walking through the medieval streets late into the evening.
siz160650.jpg

However, we needed some sleep, as we had planned an excursion to a gem of antiquity - Agrigento - next day.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Love the pictures! I was stationed in the US Navy at La Madallena, Italy on the Island of Sardinia from February 1991 - June 1993 on the USS Orion AS-18. Every 3 months or so we would go to Gaeta on the mainland and service the 6th Fleet Flag Ship. My job didn't involve that so I could take a bunch of trips on the train to Rome, Naples and all points in between. Do they still have the alligators on the sides of some of their electric engines? I took a few hours of videos of the trains and remember that running 'gator.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

Thanks! :)

No, they have lost their gators after the repaint into the green-white-blue "XMPR"-color scheme.
But these engines are already on their last legs anyway, so partly kept in a horrible state...

edwardhyde

Hi chaps
I need help urgently
I am a claustrophobe & have to prep each railway journey I take in case of long tunnels
I am travelling from Palermo to Milazzo & wonder if anyone can advise me on the type of carriage used on this route
Also any assistance in regard to the time length of the longer tunnels would be really helpful
Thanks
Ed (who likes rail travel best)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)