Really Old Photo

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Imagine doing this today! The crew of a Great Northern freight switching Tacoma had no issue with my dad and I climbing on top of their train to catch the action. Taken circa 1967-8 with my old Kodak Brownie box camera, cheap 620 film, dime store processing at the ripe old age of 14.

Martin Burwash

View attachment 111073

Yep. Back in the day, Seattle bound GN freights would hold the main, cut off their Tacoma set-out, then run up to Reservation Tower. The operator would set the switches to allow the head-end to back down into the GN yard and leave their cars. This is what you see being done in the photo. Once the set-out was made, the power would return to the train and continue north. Southbound GN freights would stop just shy of Reseravation, bring their set-outs to the mouth of the GN Yard, run around the cars and work back through the interlocking to recouple to their train and continue south.

Martin Burwash

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
That GN power is very interesting with a passenger F-unit leading a GP30. I saw a number of GN trains south of Black River in the late 60's and none had a passenger F in their consist. Usually freight F-unit's and GP9's from time to time. Very nice catch Martin!

Brian Ambrose

Well Brian, by the time I took this photo, the SDP 40's had arrived and taken over the daily pool passenger train. The passenger F-3's soon started showing up in freight service.

Martin Burwash

Imagine doing this today!
Yea the insurance companies will revoke the insurance, the company can get sued not to mention the police arresting you for a number of crimes and violations and probably charging you as a terrorists too

great photo and glad you remember those days. that's all we have left. memories and images of days gone by

Imagine doing this today! The crew of a Great Northern freight switching Tacoma had no issue with my dad and I climbing on top of their train to catch the action. Taken circa 1967-8 with my old Kodak Brownie box camera, cheap 620 film, dime store processing at the ripe old age of 14.
I love all your B&W photos, especially these "reaaally old" ones! But for this shot I would love to see a color version, just because that Great Northern "big sky blue" with the white goat logo looked so darn nice.

Geeze, what a crime it was for the BN to obliterate such attractive locos with its military-looking paint scheme.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.