Rayonier "End of Steam" 49 Years Ago Today

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Rayonier's steam operations officially ended with an open house at Railroad Camp, near Humptulips WA on 3-31-62. There was still some steam operation until sometime in 1967, but the main show, with daily steam powered log trains was over, as the diesels came on the property.

I recently acquired a group of negatives taken at RR Camp in the early 60's, including several shots on that fateful day. Here's the first of the series, taken early in the morning.

One of my favorite photos in this bunch is of Rayonier's 2-8-2 No. 90, on display that day. She is now on display in Garibaldi Oregon.

Rayonier put on quite a show for the railfans, lots of cameras out that day!

Here's #70 a couple months earlier, at Railroad Camp.

It will be nice to see her running again, up at Mt. Rainier Scenic!

My first visit was in 1964. By this time #120 and I think 14, were on the deadline, looking pretty sad. 110, 111 and 38 were still shiny and the 111 and 38 were hot, but just sitting. I never got to see any of them in operation at Rayonier.

A few years later, I finally got to see a Rayonier engine in operation, with # 70 was double heading with Weyerhaeuser #6 at Snoqualmie. This photo is by my long gone friend, Jack Anderson. Shot in very dim light, it's not real sharp, but all the action makes up for it!

Steve

Steve,

Great images again! Rewinding way, way, back, here's a photograph that I scanned of the long forgotten crew that originally made it all happen over there at Polson's Camp 1.

Craig

The first two

All the pics, but especially the first two, seem to bring out the flavor of the Northwest. I can smell the smoke and steam and fog and wet wood chips and the trees. Thanks for posting those. Never got to see a revenue logging operation, but I've been to MRSR in the early morning. I'll go get some hot coffee now.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com