Railroads across the United States of America momagna style

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Utah

Found this museum http://theunionstation.org/utah-state-railroad-museum/

Gates to the displays were already open but I was too early for the museum inside to be open.

This train passed by on tracks directly next to the museum. The station is just a bit further to the right....

DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG

UNION PACIFIC #833 FEF CLASS 4-8-4 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE
U.P. #833 is the crown jewel of the museum collection. American Locomotive Company built here in October1939. She weighs in at a healthy 454tons, engine and tender, and is 113 ft 10 1/8 Inches long. She has 80-inch diameter drivers and is balanced for a speed of 90 MPH, and officially ran as fast as a 110 MPH, and unofficially a fleet 120 MPH. The locomotive operates at a boiler pressure of 300 lbs. It has a computed horsepower of 4100 at a speed of 67 MPH. The 833 were used to pull passenger and express trains, which ran through Ogden. At the end of the steam era, she was used to pull fast freight trains. She was retired in 1957 and set on the scrapper track at Cheyenne, Wyoming. She was donated to the City of Salt Lake in 1972. Her tender is of a centipede wheel arrangement. It can hold 23,500 gals of water and 6,000 gals of fuel oil. There are four of these type of locomotives preserved. One is in Council Bluffs, Nebraska, two in Cheyenne, Wyoming, (one of which is the famous U.P. 844 the railroad’s only steam engine that has never been officially retired. It is used on excursions and other special runs.), and the 833 here in Ogden. She was moved here from Pioneer Park in Salt Lake City on February 21, 1999. It was the largest steam locomotive ever moved by trailer. The local Job Corps painted the locomotive including the cab interior and new numbers and lettering has been applied.

DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0026.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG

More signs

The one on the rock is actually pointed straight up so a person needs to climb up onto the rock to read it????

DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG
DSC_0108.JPG

If you are ever around this area (Hwy 680 and Hwy 780) make sure to head to the Vista Point. Well worth the extra drive to see this view!

DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG

I was being followed so of course I moved right (all lanes full of traffic).

Here is what was behind me! Hwy 80 eastbound.....

DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG

Funny, I was in this rest area and on the way up I got the first two shots and on the way back I heard that whistle blow once again!

DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0829.JPG

Train Mountain

Not listed in my Train Guide book plus I arrived over two hours before they opened up for the day. Darn!

DSC_0043.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG

All pictures taken over the fence line because the guy who opened the gate and left told me it is CLOSED! Darn!

DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back