Railroad Jobs for people with Asperger's Syndrome

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kyleodonnell97

Hello everybody,

Can people who have Asperger's Syndrome get a railroad job even if they take the medication for it? I'm only asking because I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome since I was 2, and I still feel confident that I would get a railroad job someday. I just wanna make sure that the railroads are not prohibiting people with Asperger's Syndrome from working on the railroad.

Thank you Bill. But I still need more information from other people on how railroads feel about hiring people with Asperger's Syndrome.

Thank you Bill. But I still need more information from other people on how railroads feel about hiring people with Asperger's Syndrome.

Probably the lawyer in me, but my point in posting a link to the AD Act is that regardless of how a railroad (or any other employer) may "feel" about hiring someone with a disability, that company must comply with the law.

My 30 year old son is developmentally disabled. Through his Special Ed classes and Special Olympics, I have met many people with disabilities over the past 25+ years including some with Asperger's Syndrome, such as his best friend in middle school. I know how difficult it is for many of them to gain employment, so I don't want to see an employer illegally discriminate against someone with a disability that falls with the AD Act.

What does your son do for a job? Does he work for the railroad industry? If so, what railroad does he work for and what does he do?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your son do for a job? Does he work for the railroad industry? If so, what railroad does he work for and what does he do?

My son is unemployed and lives at home. He worked at a McDonald's for a year, but his disabilities become such that I doubt he can work again.

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Do you know anybody who has Asperger Syndrome and works for the railroad industry?

No I don't. My advice is to complete your education and then cross this bridge when you come to it. You had initially said you were going to study diesel mechanics at a two year academic institute. That skill and certification should open up job opportunities in fields other than just railroading.

Thank you for your answers Bill. I just wanna make sure that railroads don't discriminate against someone from working on the railroad just because they have Asperger's Syndrome or because of any other type of learning disabilities and special needs. Since physical clumsiness is factor of Asperger's Syndrome, even though I don't have a problem with lifting weights.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back