Photos sticking together

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
I have been going thru some of My old 35mm photos I took,in the '80s-'90's to have them put onto CD's and noticed some are sticking together at the bottom. Is there a way to safely un stick them? They were in a water tight storage container

I have had this problem and there is really no way to undo the damage as they are more less fused together. To do minimal damage use a small screwdriver or similar to slowly pry the photos apart. If they do not come apart then use a razor blade or exacto knife to slice between where it is sticking. Of course it is probably easier to just give the photo lab your negatives and let them scan them to a disk.

Sinamox

loading...please wait.
Easy, water.

Whether they are prints or negatives soaking in water can easily separate them. Remember you wash the prints after development and fixing. Soak in clean water until they separate on their own. Filtered clean, running and 68deg is best. To prevent damage you have to dry them properly as they will want to curl and collect dust, etc. Either hang them from a line with small clips or try to lie flat on a lint free towel.

You said they were in a watertight container, may have been condensation from moisture in the air trapped inside. Also a PVC box is not an archival storage location. PVC outgases and reacts with film. Remember before the switch to polypropylene the old clear slide holders that would stick to the film. Or maybe these pictures just really excited you.

Remember to hang on to those originals after you scan them. Don’t rely on a CDR as archival storage as they only last a few years.

[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
Easy, water.

Whether they are prints or negatives soaking in water can easily separate them. Remember you wash the prints after development and fixing. Soak in clean water until they separate on their own. Filtered clean, running and 68deg is best. To prevent damage you have to dry them properly as they will want to curl and collect dust, etc. Either hang them from a line with small clips or try to lie flat on a lint free towel.

You said they were in a watertight container, may have been condensation from moisture in the air trapped inside. Also a PVC box is not an archival storage location. PVC outgases and reacts with film. Remember before the switch to polypropylene the old clear slide holders that would stick to the film. Or maybe these pictures just really excited you.

Remember to hang on to those originals after you scan them. Don’t rely on a CDR as archival storage as they only last a few years.

[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT]
Oh yes I will keep the originals. These photos are ones I took, of fallen flag, and classic older units

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com