Out and About Taylor

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

UP Wings

It's All About the Wings
Back home from College Station for a week before I move to San Antonio for an internship so I took my camera while I ran a few errands in town. I got a new battery for my trip to the Colorado narrow gauge next week so I am trying to break it in. :D

PS: If anyone knows any good railfanning locations in San Antonio, I would appreciate it!

1. I saw these two on the local taking their good sweet time exiting the yard so I ran up the line a bit to catch them. I guess I underestimated how fast the two SD60M's could accelerate the small train and had to do a grab shot out the window of the truck. Note all of the ties to the right. They have done ALOT of tie replacing on the Austin subdivision.

2. The Dallas - Taylor - San Antonio run had just finished switching and was pulling up to tie down until the run was to be made south this evening. Might sharp KCS Belle in the consists!

3. Coming home, I saw another pair of SD60M's heading down the Waco sub (ex MKT line) toward Elgin so I gave a little case. The sunlight was far into the "too high don't shoot time of day" but it was a train so I did anyway. I was trying to channel J. Parker Lamb to get the essence of the Katy line through Texas like he did so well with these but am not that pleased with these.

4. Another shot, the cow was an excellent model for me and didn't move a bit!

That is all for yesterday, if I get any good ones today I will post them.

Great Catch Brian. Your best place would be Sunset Station & down town area. Also South Presa Street where the Old Katy Line connects with the Main 1 & 2 Del Rio Sub. West of South Presa Street is the Rockport Sub, all Coal trains that head down to power plant. South IH-35 of S.A. is the new Intermodal yard but I don't recommend it. Don't recommend any where near the yards. I hear people being called in sometimes for taking pictures near the yards.

Yes Sunset Station is a good place to 'fan just let the guard know what you are up too and you should be fine, don't climb onto the equipment that may be parked at the depot. You can view East Yard from Duval St which runs right next to it. Not much is going on at EY just locals and Ethonal that comes 2-3 times a week for the new plant.

SP8015

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
I see the SD60Ms are out and about again! I haven't seen one of those since 2008! Nice shots. Cool Cow! (And have fun in Colorado).

kenw

5th Generation Texian
another good SA spot is anywhere along Binz-Englemann (FM 78) east of loop 410. It goes parallel to the yard, fueling racks on each end. You can get very close (legally) to the racks on the eastern end altho they don't seem to be as busy. The only trackside parking is at the far east end. otherwise parking is across a very busy street (Binz-Englemann) making access difficult.

Sunset Station is a great place, it is busy and pretty safe during the daylight hours. Nearby to there is Duval St just west of N Hackberry: good and extremely close but be careful in the area. The trains go very slow in the very, very tight curve there.

Nice shots! Sure do miss living in near Taylor, got myself an awesome cab ride there in a tunnel motor a while back. Always appreciate photos from back home! :)

Hope to see your pics from Colorado as well...

mvs

Nice pictures!

I wonder if anywhere on the Austin Sub is railfan-able. The area between San Antonio and Austin (or, for this discussion, San Antonio and New Braunfels) is quite scenic and right near the Hill Country. I suggest using Google Maps Street View and tracing the tracks in that area.

Edit: Here is a spot on Google Maps which looks interesting. Check it out in street view.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
Like Laredo Sub said, the Tower 112 area (between Roosevelt & South Presa) sees a lot of action and is relatively safe, plus there is good railfan company there. Sunset Station is ok, there is a lot of vehicle traffic. North from there on Commerce at the Spaghetti Warehouse is old down town scenic or what not but you will get about 2 or 3 panhandlers an hour. North from there you will be in a lower income neighborhood, (like Knew refers to @ Hackberry) that may or may not bother you.

1) Standing on South Presa looking west
2) Standing on South Presa looking east to I-37

edit: old threads of mine on some spots. I must've deleted my pics when Keith and I railfanned in 2005.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15833
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13172

Like Laredo Sub said, the Tower 112 area (between Roosevelt & South Presa) sees a lot of action and is relatively safe, plus there is good railfan company there. Sunset Station is ok, there is a lot of vehicle traffic. North from there on Commerce at the Spaghetti Warehouse is old down town scenic or what not but you will get about 2 or 3 panhandlers an hour. North from there you will be in a lower income neighborhood, (like Knew refers to @ Hackberry) that may or may not bother you.

1) Standing on South Presa looking west
2) Standing on South Presa looking east to I-37
Great shot on picture number one there on South Presa kinda look like some area in California with the tree in the background.

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
Yeah Joe,
The palm tree adds an nice back ground. Too bad all those damn pipeline markers (white poles with orange caps) are everywhere.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
While you are there don't forget to check out the aforementioned Sunset Station from the inside, it is drop-dead fabulous!

On the other side of downtown, in a much less desirable area is the beautiful I&GN/MP station, now restored but converted to commercial (a credit union) purposes. You can get inside during business hours, the view from the main room is incredible.

Both stations are still next to very active tracks (the SP moreso).

My S.A. shots last summer...

Here are a couple of shots I took last summer in San Antonio. I was playing in Hoop-it-Up basketball tournament and took some time to catch some trains going through S.A. Didn't have to wait very long.

1) Eastbound Stack at South Zarzamora Street 9 am ish summer sun light.
2) Same eastbound stack at S. Zarzamora Street.
3) From the platform of Sunset station. East Commerce St. mid day sun.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com