Orient-Express 12: Afyonkarahisar (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Orient-Express 11: Efes & Steam-Kebab (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...rient-Express-11-Efes-amp-Steam-Kebab-(50-p-)

To the video of the trip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFRjlmE2N64&hd=1

Detailed TCDD rail map (Attention - 12.9 MB):
http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/upload/Files/ContentFiles/2010/harita/TR-M-S-001.jpg

September 27 2013

We return to the stage Usak - Afyon:

Shortly behind Yildirim Kemal we stopped on the open line, most photographers were lining up above the cliff to the left... but the sun did not appear. The train steamed past us for the first time, I liked the image from the opposite side quite a lot - the colours have been given a nostalgic touch.
orient1201.jpg

Now to the silhouette perspective, the mood simply was amazing. Once more the landscape reminded me of the Highlands - including boggy pond (albeit more polluted than its Scottish counterparts).
orient1202.jpg

In such impressive formations - yes, please, more clouds! :)
orient1203.jpg

We waited another 30 minutes for sunlight, but it always scraped by our spot. So, one more run-past and we moved on.
orient1204.jpg

We chased the sun for 45 minutes and caught up with it at Balmahmut.
orient1205.jpg

I ran ahead and quickly captured a sunny panorama of this wonderful valley partly surrounded by rock faces, while some others were still climbing out of the coaches
orient1206.jpg

For the actual photo run-past I chose a lower perspective against the once more spectacular sky.
orient1207.jpg

We passed Balmahmut, the roof of the station building still featuring an old station sign was just being mended. Shortly later we finally rolled past a flock of sheep. A few hundred yards on the brakes were squealing, and we slowly reversed. After introducing ourselves and shaking hands with the friendly shepherds, the spectacle was arranged...
orient1208.jpg

The train was positioned behind the herd of sheep and two donkeys.
orient1209.jpg

Men and dogs were watching the whole affair. A smoking fire nearby augmented the mood even more.
orient1210.jpg

And action! As a bonus the sun peeked through a hole in the sky at exactly the right moment.
The herd still was grazing calmly...
orient1211.jpg

However, as the hissing iron horse approached, panic broke out.
orient1212.jpg

orient1213.jpg

We continued through the valley until we reached the open landscape around Afyon. Our line was joined by another from Sandikli running parallel as a second track. Actually it was only supposed to be a signal halt entering Afyon (the first signal we saw in a long time), yet due to the fantastic sunset mood the crowd of photographers jumped out of the coaches - this led to a few run-pasts. For the first one two locals were waiting at a level crossing.
orient1214.jpg

We were close to the same spot we had passed a few days earlier on the bus ride from Ankara. At the crossroads Istanbul - Antalya and Ankara - Izmir new 5-star thermal spa hotels sprung up like mushrooms. But apart from one giant shell construction on a hilltop - which I removed virtually - it hardly could be noticed in this light.
orient1215.jpg

orient1216.jpg

orient1217.jpg

orient1218.jpg

orient1219.jpg

During the last photo departure three youngsters one a motor scooter came by.
orient1220.jpg

orient1221.jpg

DE24249 was showing that it was able to smoke just as well to take us to our destination which already could be recognized in the distance by its distinctive steep hills.
orient1222.jpg

After passing Afyon Sehir (city) station we reached the Anatolian Railway Eskisehir - Konya - connecting to the Baghdad Railway - and the freight yard of main station Afyon Ali Cetinkaya (named after an Afyon-born former transport minister during Atatürk's time). In the darkness the switches were lit effectfully, next to a class DE24000 and a class DH9500 shunter I just noticed a class E43000 electric being transferred during image editing.
orient1223.jpg

Some group members walked to nearby Hotel Mert, I took a taxi with a few others. In the lobby I booked another flight ticket home via wifi for someone else, then called it a day.

September 28 2013

I would like to insert a report about a sightseeing-tour I did the following afternoon. Colleagues had recommended a visit to the old town centre of Afyon where nostalgic flair supposedly had been preserved. From the station I walked along modern streets, also the first blocks of the city centre had been refurbished and did not exude much historic atmosphere. However, this was about to change a few yards further - old houses, old streets - and especially: life! could be found here.

Always prominent in the background: the mighty castle rock giving the town its current complete name: Afyonkarahisar - ("Karahisar" - "Black Castle", "Afyon" - "Opium" ;-)).
More about the history of Afyon can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afyonkarahisar
orient1224.jpg

Craftsmen were categorised by streets, here a boilermaker.
orient1225.jpg

Past Yeni Cami (New Mosque) I entered the maze of streets forming the old town.
orient1226.jpg

orient1227.jpg

Loaves of bread in front of one of the omnipresent bakeries.
orient1228.jpg

I passed the only indication of visiting tourists - a signpost, also in English, showing the way up to the castle ruin. Some local day-trippers walked uphill to the viewpoint on this lovely Saturday afternoon, others were dragging their children into the historically most interesting Ulu Cami.
orient1229.jpg

I had preloaded Google Maps, so I ventured further through the narrow side streets.
orient1230.jpg

At some point I reached a more modern suburb - only to be surprised by a horseback rider!
orient1231.jpg

From a hill I managed to capture a complete panorama. Somehow this old town in a valley reminded me of course of my second home city, Sarajevo. To the right in the distance modern Afyon and the station area stretched out into the plain.
orient1232.jpg

orient1233.jpg

orient1234.jpg

Walking back to the modern city I followed more old streets.
orient1235.jpg

orient1236.jpg

orient1237.jpg

Finally I returned to the modernised part of the city centre featuring historicising street lamps, bazar-like souvenir shops and touristy restaurants. I passed a wedding party just taking pictures in front of the castle. All were clothed in fashionable western style - quite a contrast to the actual inhabitants of the old town.

Now we continue our report on Saturday morning. At about half past six we reached the main station.

Two class 5700 DMUs were waiting on platform 1 about to depart to Eskisehir at 7:20 a.m.
The complete timetable of local trains in this area can be found here: http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/upload/Files/ContentFiles/2010/bolgesel/7bolgeselleri.pdf
If you take a closer look at the vehicles you might notice their origin - correct, they are 1993-built versions of the well-known FIAT railbus.
orient1238.jpg

Everything a driver needs.
orient1239.jpg

Once more a wonderful Art Deco-waiting hall.
orient1240.jpg

orient1241.jpg

Notice the letterbox.
orient1242.jpg

On both platform ends these elegant fountains could be found.
orient1243.jpg

Sadly the steamer was shunting from the other, not as photogenic direction.
orient1244.jpg

The castle rock in the distance could be captured standing on platform 2.
orient1245.jpg

It was quite cool that morning, don't be misled by the t-shirt.
orient1246.jpg

orient1247.jpg

I waited until DE24127 had shunted its freight train, then moved ahead.
orient1248.jpg

DE33055 recently built for the rising economic power with Erdogan's new mosques and the Army's tanks as allegory for modern Turkey...
orient1249.jpg

The double FIAT DMU rushed past us punctually towards Kütahya and Eskisehir. That day we were about to take the leftmost track into direction Sandikli and Dinar, next to it the one on which we had arrived from Usak the evening before.
orient1250.jpg

A small home exercise: http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?17,3572091
With Karabük's historic travelogue you can prepare for next time, find the differences compared to nowadays... ;-)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back